Best Electric Shavers for Women – Roundup Review
Why Choose Shaving?
The major disadvantage of shaving is the regularity with which you need to shave in order to keep your skin hair-free.
If you have dark hair and light skin, it can cause a "shadow" effect so that your skin never really looks clear, in which case shaving may not be for you.
However that aside, there are a number of good reasons to choose shaving over other methods of hair removal:
- No Pain - shaving with an electric shaver should be completely pain-free (unlike waxing, epilating etc.) and there are many models nowadays with special features to make them suitable for just about everyone, even those with sensitive skin. Provided you make sure to stretch the skin in areas such as underarm and bikini line, where it tends to be looser, you should not experience nicks or cuts. The only other pain free method is the use of depilatory creams, but they can cause allergic reactions in some individuals, and will always require the spreading of harsh chemicals over your skin.
- No Regrowth - you can shave as soon as any hair starts to regrow, even daily, there is no need for a minimum length of unsightly regrowth before it is effective (unlike waxing, tweezing, epilating etc.)
- Cost Efficient - aside from the initial outlay, there are few ongoing costs involved with using a shaver. The occasional replacement of blades and foils are about all the costs involved, unless you are using a battery operated shaver, in which case battery price needs to be factored in.
- Convenient - shaving, especially dry, can be done just about anywhere at any time with minimal cleaning. A great option when travelling, and most rechargeable devices nowadays come with multiple voltage chargers.
- Easy to Use - there is very little technique required for using an electric shaver correctly beyond ensuring that your skin is always taut, it is held at 90 degrees to the skin and moved against direction of natural hair growth.
- Versatile - shaving is suitable for all areas of the body, most shavers come with various attachments and special features. Many can be used wet or dry, with or without shaving creams and gels.
What to Look For
Choosing a good, well-known and respected manufacturing brand such as Braun, Panasonic, Remington or Philips will give you peace of mind in terms of quality and guarantees.
Check when purchasing for warranty and money back guarantee information.
Of course, we all have a budget and choosing the right device at the right price is important. Generally though, as with most things, the more you spend the better the product. We have chosen low - mid range shavers with the most expensive at around $55, for which you get some pretty good features.
One key decision to make is whether you want to have a corded, rechargeable or battery operated shaver. We have not included a corded shaver as they are obviously for dry use only and you need to be near a power socket, so can be restrictive.
My preference would always be for a rechargeable device, so I would be looking for one which has a short charge time for the longest possible shave time.
Use in Shower
I like to use my shaver in shower with shaving cream, I find that it increases the glide, feels gentler and fits best with my morning schedule.
If you want to use your shaver wet and/or in the shower it is important to check for this feature prior to purchase.
There are varying attachments available with each model, so take some time to consider what you want to use your shaver for, and which are most important for you.
Some of the attachments available include:
- Efficiency Cap - (glide cap), fits over the shaver head to help you keep the shaver at the optimum 90 degree angle to the skin
- Bikini Comb/Trimmer Head - the comb is fitted over the shaver head to enable safe trimming of bikini area to a uniform length. Some models may also include a completely separate trimmer head for shaping this delicate area.
- Sensitive Skin - many shavers include design features such as use of hypoallergenic blades/foils specially for use on sensitive skin, or comfort strips to stretch the skin etc. - so look out for these if you are prone to irritation. Having the option to use with shaving foam/cream etc. may also help prevent irritating sensitive skin.
- Epilator - some epilators, such as the Braun Silk-epil 9 9-579 have a separate shaver head to give the option of both methods of hair removal for different parts of the body, as well as various other extras.
Recommended Shavers in More Detail
This shaver features 3 floating heads to follow the contours of your body, to give a smooth, close finish whilst minimizing the need to go over the same area again and again.
This, combined with the hypoallergenic blades and foil make it a good choice for anyone with sensitive skin.
It may be used wet or dry and is 100% waterproof so that you can use it in the shower with cream or foam etc. to further aid glide and comfort.
The neatly designed, space saving charging stand plugs directly into the mains socket and the shaver sits on it, at the wall. There is no need for trailing wires or to find surface space for locating the charger.
The only down side of the charger is that there is no indicator to show when the device is fully charged, the light stays on all the time that it is plugged into the power socket.
The shaver is fully charged in 12 hours, which provides around 25 - 30 minutes of continual shaving time.
There is an integral pop-up trimmer at the front of the shaver head for trimming longer hairs and tackling the bikini-line.
This is a good little shaver for the price of around just $20, from a well known, reputable Brand and it comes with a 30 day quality satisfaction guarantee and 2 years limited warranty.
The shaving head on this device is optimally angled so that it is easy to maintain skin contact.
It consists of 2 perforated foils covering its 4 blades and a double-sided integral trimmer, with each element being independently floating to closely follow the body's contours.
Manufactured from hypoallergenic material and with an antimicrobial additive on the blades, this is a good shaver for use on sensitive skin.
It also features a massage strip which is enriched with almond oil, designed to nourish the skin as well as providing for a more comfortable, gentle shave.
The comb guard attachment is clipped in place over the shaver head, to allow for the safe and effective shaping and trimming of the bikini area.
The shaver is suitable for use wet or dry, in the shower if you wish, and you may use shaving creams, foams etc.
There is a charging stand with a separate cord, so charging is either by using the stand connected to the mains with the adaptor, or with the adaptor plugged directly into the device.
To fully charge the shaver takes a rather lengthy 20 hours (24 hours first time) and it provides 40 minutes shaving time.
Overall, a good value for money efficient little device for just around $34, easy to use and with a 60 day money back guarantee from a reputable manufacturer.
This lady shaver from Braun has an ergonomic design for a good, comfortable grip and measures 14cms from tip to toe.
It is operated by two replaceable standard AA batteries (1.5v not rechargeable), which should give around 90 minutes shave time.
They need replacing as soon as a decrease in power is noticed and it is recommended that they are both replaced at the same time, and removed from the device whenever it will not be used for an extended period.
The shaver head has a single rounded floating foil which flexes with the contours of the body and an integrated trimmer for longer hairs.
The trimmer features rounded tips to minimise irritation and there is a soft strip included, designed to stretch the skin so that the hair stands up.
There are 3 attachments included with the device, pictured above.
The trimmer cap is for shaping and even trimming of the bikini area, to a length of 4mm.
The glide cap can be used for the legs, for an extra close shave. It helps you maintain the optimum position for shaving, whilst cushioning the head for a smoother glide.
The exfoliation attachment can be used as an alternative to the glide cap for your legs, to gently exfoliate the skin whilst shaving.
Available online for around $48, this is a handy little shaver especially when travelling, if you do not want the bother of continually remembering to recharge.
The Philips SatinShave Prestige is fully rechargeable for wet or dry use, and has an anti-slip grip for a firm, comfortable hold.
The pivoting shaver head has two independently floating nickel foils over its specially curved blades, all designed to follow the contours of the body closely and easily.
It also has an integral trimmer with specifically designed, rounded tips and safety bars for minimising irritation, especially for those with more sensitive skin.
There is a separate, bikini trimmer head and comb provided with the device, which is smaller than the shaver head, for more precise shaping and trimming of the tender bikini area.
Another accessory included with this product is an efficiency cap.
This is placed over the head of the shaver and is designed to pull the skin taut, helping to make the hair stand upright for more efficient shaving.
A great feature of this product is the short charging time; a full charge takes just one hour and gives one hour's shaving time.
There is also a quick, 5 minute charge function just in case you need it, to give enough power for one shave.
However, there is a battery status light which not only illuminates whilst charging, but also indicates when the battery is getting low, so really you shouldn't need to use the quick charge very often!
Finally, there is a protective travel cap and drawstring storage/travel pouch for keeping the shaver and accessories safely.
All in all you get a lot for your $55 and with a 45 day money-back guarantee you can't really go wrong with this good quality shaver.