Avon Skin So Soft Facial Hair Remover Review
This product, manufactured in France, is one of a large range of cosmetics and beauty treatments from Avon.
As with all facial depilatory creams, it is designed for facial use, but is not suitable for eyebrows and should be kept away from the eye area. By far the best method for eyebrow hair removal is tweezing.
What You Get
In the box, you get a 1 oz tube of Avon Skin So Soft Fresh and Smooth moisturizing facial hair removal cream and a set of instructions, which should be read thoroughly prior to use.
The product currently retails at around $6 and is sufficient for several applications, so not bad value for money.
A Look At Avon Skin So Soft Facial Hair Removal Cream
Straight off the bat, my impression of this cream is that the odour is quite pleasant (for a depilatory cream, anyway).
It is certainly a far cry from the offensive and off-putting, pungent odours of depilatories of the past.
Many of the depilatories I have looked at include a separate moisturiser for after-use, but this one is a stand-alone cream with moisturising ingredients.
So you are paying for the hair removal cream only, but at an inexpensive price.
What Are The Ingredients
As with all cosmetics, if you have any allergies that you are aware of, it is important to check what is in them prior to use
These are the ingredients in the Avon Skin So Soft facial hair removal cream:
How to Use
It is important to carry out a skin test at least 24 hours prior to use, to make sure that you have no adverse reactions.
This can be carried out by using a small amount of cream on a small patch of the area to treated and following the directions for use.
If you experience any stinging, burning or other irritation, remove the cream immediately, rinse the area thoroughly with fresh water and do not use.
If, after 24 hours, you have no adverse reactions, you can continue to use the product to remove hair.
Directions for Use
- Apply a thick layer of cream evenly over hair to be removed using your fingertips - DO NOT RUB IN
- Wash hands immediately and thoroughly
- Leave for 2 1/2 minutes and test a small patch to see if the hair comes away easily
- If it does, remove the product using a dampened cotton ball or washcloth and then rinse the area thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry gently
- If 2 1/2 minutes is insufficient, leave for a couple of minutes and try again.
- DO NOT EXCEED 8 minutes in total
- Not for use on eyebrows, nipples, perianal or vaginal/genital areas, or in nose or ears
- If product comes in contact with the eyes, immediately flush with water and if irritation occurs seek medical advice
- Do not use on irritated, inflamed or broken skin
- Do not re-apply within a 24 hour period
- For external use only
- Keep out of reach of children
- Never exceed the maximum recommended time of 8 minutes
The above precautions are those advised within the Avon leaflet provided.
I would add to this that you should avoid sunbathing for 24 hours before and after treatment.
Depilatory creams should not be used on moles or warts.
Also, if you are receiving dermatological treatment, have any skin disorder, circulatory problems or diabetes you should seek medical advice prior to use.
It may be worth considering other hair removal methods.
Is It Effective?
My own experience of this product is that it is effective and for me, the time required is 5 minutes for best results.
Reviews and comments that I have read are varied, but I have found that this is the case with all the depilatory creams that I have reviewed, and it is a very subjective topic.
What works for one, does not necessarily work for another, and so trial and error is, to a certain extent, necessary.
Depilatory Creams - The Advantages
We recently looked at all the pros and cons of using depilatory creams.
These are the main advantages:
- No Pain - this has to be one of the main attractions of depilatory creams (providing you are not allergic to any of the ingredients, and you follow the instructions carefully). The only other pain-free method really is shaving, but depilatories have rather longer lasting results. The other advantage that depilatories have over shaving is that they do not cause ingrown hairs (often known as razor bumps).
- Convenience - they can be easily used at home, with no skill required beyond the ability to read and follow the instructions. Results can be achieved quickly. They are widely available in shops and on the internet.
- Versatility - depilatory creams can be used on most areas of the body (there are a few exceptions - listed in precautions) and different creams are specially formulated for use on different areas. They can be used on all skin tones.
- Inexpensive - with price tags of around $5 upwards there are depilatories available to suit all pockets
Pros and Cons of Avon Skin So Soft Facial Hair Removal Cream
Things we Liked
- Odour - not too strong or unpleasant (in my opinion)
- Cost Effective - at the lower end of the price range for depilatories, at around $6
- Quick and Easy - works in just 2 1/2 - 8 minutes
Things we didn't Like
- No Separate After-Use Cream
Our Final Thoughts
This product worked well for me, and so I would not hesitate to recommend it.
There is no separate after-cream included, however my skin did not feel dry after use and any non-perfumed moisturiser can be used.
I think it is an inexpensive and effective depilatory cream from a well-known manufacturing Brand.