Best Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin?
Shaving may cause irritation for all skin types at one time or another, but for those with inherently sensitive skin it can be a real problem.
In this article, we offer a few tips you can use to try to minimize irritation due to shaving, advise which products to avoid and make recommendations for some of the best shaving creams on the market.
Top Products to Reduce Irritation from Shaving
Full Reviews of the Products Listed Above
Best Shaving Routine?
This may seem time-consuming, but if you follow these steps and they indeed reduce the adverse effects of shaving, it will all be worthwhile.
- Clean skin thoroughly, preferably in a hot shower, using a gentle cleanser produced for sensitive skin i.e. low ph, unperfumed and containing no dyes.
- Avoid using antibacterial cleansers or any containing alcohol or its derivatives.
- After cleansing, wait for 5 - 10 minutes to allow the skin to "settle down" prior to shaving.
- Apply moisturizer or oil, for an added layer of protection between skin and shaving cream, to make the skin supple and to help the razor blade skim the skin's surface.
- Choose your razor carefully and ideally choose one with a single blade - some are marketed specifically for sensitive skins, avoid disposable razors if possible.
- Be sure always to use a sharp blade - preferably a new one each time (although this will depend on coarseness and density of hair)
- If you are re-using a blade ensure that it is cleaned and dried thoroughly immediately after use, and protective cap replaced.
- Apply shaving cream or gel in a thin layer
- Avoid stretching the skin
- Shave slowly and carefully in the direction of the hair's growth without exerting pressure.
- Rinse the blade thoroughly in between each stroke
- When you have finished, be sure to rinse very thoroughly to remove all traces of shaving product from the skin
- Apply cold water to soothe and cool the area and to close the pores.
- Gently pat dry - do not rub
- Moisturize the shaved skin to soothe, soften and re-hydrate it.
Recommended Shaving Creams, Gels and Oils
There are literally hundreds of different products on the market, all promising the perfect, hassle-free shave.
Ultimately, it would be impossible to state categorically that one is better than another for any individual - it is largely a matter of personal preference, after all.
What we have done is to take a look at the evidence from various sources and reviews to make some recommendations for you to try, based on our findings:
Stubble Butter - Anti Irritation Pre Shave Oil for Men
This product is ideal for those who wish to shave daily, but suffer from irritation, nicks and cuts from shaving.
It contains a combination of 5 natural oils; sweet almond, argan, jojoba, grapeseed and castor with a blend of 5 herbs with anti-irritation properties,
Although this is a relatively expensive product, only a few drops at a time, massaged into the skin 30 seconds or so prior to shaving, are required.
ORGANIC Argan Oil by Foxbrim
100% Pure ECOCERT & USDA Certified Organic Argan Oil
If you are looking for natural, inexpensive oil to use prior to shaving - this product offers a good option.
Argan is a light, quickly absorbed oil, with no additives to irritate sensitive skin.
A completely natural moisturizer which is abundant in fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidants, argan oil can be used not only as a pre-shave treatment but as a general moisturizer.
Foxbrim guarantees a full refund for anyone who is unhappy with their purchase.
King of Shaves Alpha-Gel Shaving Gel, Sensitive, 5 Ounce
Alpha-gel contains aloe vera, tea tree oil and essential oils, all of which are natural and known for benefiting sensitive skin.
It has a low-foam formula, giving a thin layer, making it is easy to see where you are shaving.
The gel has good lubrication qualities, to give a smooth glide to the razor blade, preventing irritation from pulling or dragging on the skin.
It is marketed as not have been tested on animals.
The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream, 5 fl. oz.
This unscented shaving cream is free from alcohol and synthetic dyes.
its thick, foamy lather helps protect the skin from irritation by improving razor glide.
The ingredients include glycerin and coconut acid, softening the stubble to give a more comfortable shave.
This product can be used with or without a shaving brush
There are many glowing reviews for this shaving cream with many people saying that it's great for sensitive skin.
Proraso Liquid After Shave Cream, 3.4 Ounce
Proraso liquid aftershave cream is alcohol-free and contains no silicons, mineral oils, parabens or artificial colors.
Ingredients included are oatmeal extract which aids the moisturizing and soothing process whilst green tea is a natural antioxidant.
Specially formulated to combine the benefits of a balsam with those of a cream, this product promises to give immediate relief to irritated or sensitive skin.
Nivea for Men Sensitive After Shave Extra Soothing Balm, 3.3oz
Dermatologically tested and alcohol free, offering a moisturizing and soothing balm at an easily affordable price.
It is light and easily absorbed, containing Chamomile extract and vitamins to improve the condition of your skin.
This product is specifically formulated for sensitive skin and has many very positive reviews - with a rating of 4.6 stars out of 5.
For an inexpensive moisturizer from a reputable manufacturer at a budget price, we feel that this is a good product with which to complete your shaving routine.
For further information about shaving see our articles: