Braun FaceSpa 830 Mini Epilator & Cleansing Brush Review
The Braun FaceSpa 830 model comes complete with battery installed (operated by one AA alkaline battery).
Its slim design means that it is easily portable, and it also includes a cleansing/exfoliation brush for added versatility.
The very small, 10 tweezer head means that, in addition to upper lip, chin and cheeks you can also use it to maintain brow (above the brow only) and in-between brows.
The epilator is designed for dry use only, but the brush can be used in the bath or shower with your usual soap, cleanser, gel etc. if you wish.
What You Get
In the box:
- Braun FaceSpa device with epilator head attached
- Cleansing brush attachment
- Protective epilator cap
- Compact mirror with integral light
- Cleaning brush (dual purpose)
- Zipped carrying/storage pouch
- Instruction booklet and guarantee details
Compact Epilator Head
The very compact epilator head, which has 10 tweezer points on a roller, makes it ideal for small, precise areas.
Its design means that this epilator can actually be used on the areas above and between the eyebrows, for which most facial epilators are not suitable due to the close proximity of the eyes and eyelashes.
It is not, however, suitable for use in eyebrow shaping (under the brow) where tweezers are by far the best tool.
It is also good for upper lip, chin, cheeks and forehead (staying clear of hairline/scalp).
The epilator head is removed simply by pulling off, to replace with the brush attachment as and when required.
You can determine which way the head rotates using the bidirectional switch, the roller rotates in the direction of the arrow, with "0" as the off position.
So, if you move the switch to the left (middle picture) the roller will rotate in a clockwise direction, or to the right (right pic) in an anti-clockwise direction.
This is important because you need to use the epilator against the direction of hair's growth, and it allows you to easily do this on both sides of the face.
Cleansing Brush Attachment
The cleansing brush attachment allows for deep cleansing of the face and removes make-up and impurities as well as exfoliating to remove dead skin cells and bacteria.
The epilation head is easily remove by just pulling it off and can then be replaced by the brush being pushed firmly into place, locating the central pivot into the socket as shown in the centre picture above.
It is recommended that the brush be replaced at least every 3 months. To remove the brush from the brush head, press the button located on the top as shown.
Lighted Compact Mirror
Included in the package is a slim, compact mirror with battery operated light for epilating on-the-go.
It is operated by 3 button cell batteries (LR1130) which are supplied and pre-installed, you just need to remove the foil before first use.
To change the batteries you will need to open the battery compartment using a small screwdriver carefully inserted into the end recess of the battery cover to prize it up.
The new batteries should be installed with the + pole on top, as shown, and the cover located and clicked back into place.
The Braun FaceSpa is battery operated by one standard alkaline AA battery, freely available to buy just about everywhere.
To avoid the battery leaking and causing damage to the device, it is a good idea to remove it if not using for any length of time (a month or more).
The battery can be replaced by opening the compartment at the base of the device with the end of the cleaning brush, which is specially designed for the purpose.
Making sure that both the device and your hands are dry first, turn the battery cover towards the open lock sign, as shown, and it will come easily away.
The battery is then inserted in the direction pictured and the cover replaced by positioning the dot at the open lock sign and turning it towards the closed lock.
How to Use
As always, it is important to read all the instructions provided with the appliance prior to use, paying particular attention to any precautions and warnings.
I have summarised these, to give an indication of the process and what to expect:
- Make sure that your skin is clean and dry before use - the epilator head is for dry use only
- Select direction of epilation head by turning left or right - you want to have the tweezers rotating against the direction of hair growth
- It is recommended that you try the device first on the chin, to get used to using it
- Make sure skin is held taut when epilating to avoid skin damage
- Use very gentle pressure and guide the appliance slowly over the area to be epilated, against the direction of hair's growth
- Turn the device off and remove the epilation head to clean thoroughly using the brush provided
- You can ensure that the device is sanitised by dipping the brush (not the epilator head) into rubbing alcohol first
- Make sure that the head is completely dry before re-attaching to the main body, and use the protective cap provided to store safely, and protect the tweezer head
- You may use a light moisturizing cream after epilation
- This can be used daily with your usual soap, gel or whatever, or just with water and is suitable for use in the shower
- Moisten skin and brush head, turn on the device to either direction and use with circular motions, and just gentle pressure
- Avoid hairline and eye areas
- Rinse face after use
- Rinse the brush after use with warm, running water - or remove brush head and to clean thoroughly with soap and dry thoroughly before storing or re-attaching
- Do not share your epilator with anyone else, for reasons of hygiene
- Keep epilator away from eyelashes
- Keep away from clothing, ribbons and long hair when epilator is in operation
- Seek medical advice before using if you have eczema, wounds, inflamed skin reactions, varicose veins or reduced immunity of the skin e.g. diabetes mellitus
- Not suitable for removing hair from moles or warts
- Seek medical advice prior to using an epilator if you are pregnant, have Raynaud's disease, koebner phenomenon, haemophilia or immune deficiency
It is quite usual to experience some irritation and/or reddening of the skin after epilating, but this should clear quickly.
The first few times are likely to be the worst, and it is good idea to epilate in the evening when you are not planning to go out, to give any reactions time to disappear overnight.
Should you experience any adverse reactions that are still present after 36 hours you should seek medical advice.
Advantages of Using an Epilator
Of course there are pros and cons of all hair removal methods, but here I have outlined some of the main advantages that epilating has, in comparison to the other most popular at-home options:
- Shaving - cuts hair at the surface of the skin so the results are not long-lasting, it is likely you need to shave daily. Regrowth has a stubbly effect, and often individuals experience a "6 o'clock shadow", especially those with light skin and dark hair.
- Depilatory Creams - slightly longer lasting than shaving, but still the hair is removed at or only just below the skin's surface. They involve using strong chemicals, which can result in allergic reactions. These can be messy and difficult to apply, and will involve an ongoing cost.
- Waxing - similar in effect to epilating, as the hair is pulled out at the root, so results last equally as long. However, it can be messy and also affects the surrounding skin as the wax adheres to this as well as the hair. Hair needs to be at a length that is clearly visible for waxing to be effective. There is the need for continual purchase of product, so an ongoing cost.
By comparison to the above, using an epilator has long-lasting (2 - 4+ weeks) results, lighter and finer regrowth, involves no mess, can treat hairs as short as 0.5 mm and is more or less a one-off cost. A well looked-after device should last you for many years.
Epilators are easy to transport and use whilst travelling, with many models having dual or multi-purpose use (epilator, shaver, exfoliator etc.)
Braun FaceSpa 830 Q & A's
Can it be used with rechargeable batteries?
Yes, so long as they are the correct AA batteries
Can the epilator be used in the shower?
No - the epilator is for dry use only, the cleansing brush is suitable for use in the shower
What speed is the epilator?
The epilator operates at 2,000 catches per second
How many tweezers does the epilator have?
It has 10 catching points
Can it be used on the bikini area?
No - this product is recommended for facial use only
I think this is a pretty good purchase if you want a precise epilator for facial use only.
The cleansing/exfoliation brush is a good addition and means that the device can be in daily use, so you get the best value from the purchase.
It's slim design, lighted mirror and zipped pouch to take it and all its accessories mean that, for travelling, it is ideal.
Braun is a well-known and respected brand and the device has a two year guarantee.
Overall, I would be happy to recommend this product.
Things we Liked
- Value for Money -- you get a fair bit for your $60
- Battery Operation - can be used anywhere
- Precise Epilation - small epilation head makes it possible to use between brows
- Bi-directional - easy to use on either side of the face
- Exfoliation Brush - great for daily use, to reduce risk of ingrown hairs
- Lighted Mirror - handy for using away from home
- 2 Year Guarantee
Things we didn't Like
- Pain - in common with all epilators, it can be uncomfortable, especially at first. Will become less so over time with regular use
- Batteries - need to buy replacements