The Complete Braun Series 7-790cc Pulsonic Review
Product Contents List
- 1 Shaver
- 1 Cleaning Unit
- 1 Cleaning Cartridge
- 1 Travel Pouch
- 1 Electric Cord
When you are shopping for an electric shaver it’s hard to figure out the best fit amidst the sheer amount of choices that are there out there.
Between the top brands such as Braun, Philips Norelco, Remington and Panasonic and all of their different lines they sell there are so many shavers that it can be hard to decide on which one is going to work for you. Many people tend to go with a tried and true shaver, or a brand that they know works for them, just because they don’t really know where else to look.
This is where we step in and help you by reviewing the best electric shavers out there so that you can narrow down your choice effectively. The Braun Series 7-790cc Pulsonic shaver is currently one of the most popular and most advanced electric shavers on the market.
Developed to provide the consumer with the smoothest and most comfortable shave possible, the 790cc has Braun’s Pulsonic Technology, which means that it delivers over 10,000 micro vibrations every minute in order to cut as much hair as possible in one go.
The shaver also comes with three personalization modes, a display window and Braun’s Clean & Renew System to clean and charge your shaver after every use.
This review will give you a detailed overview of all of the product features and why we think it stands out amidst all of the other shavers.
The Braun Series 7-790cc is a streamlined black and silver electric shaver with some of the most high-end and advanced features on the market. Here is a list of these features with more information.
- Intelligent sonic technology: this feature makes the 790cc the most advanced of all Braun electric shavers. The sonic technology provides over 10,000 micro vibrations per minute to give you the closest shave you can possibly get regardless of the pressure used. The vibrations allow the shaver to capture more hair in one pass so that you get a smoother and faster shave than you would with another model.
- 3 personalization modes: the series 7 is the only Braun shaver that offers a choice of three personalization modes, Extra Sensitive, Normal and Intensive. You can change the mode based on the area you are shaving and on your skin type.
- ActiveLift™ Technology: Braun’s ActiveLift™ Technology ensures the shaver is able to lift and capture even flat lying hairs in the most problematic areas (the neck for example) with a special integrated and automatic middle trimming comb. This allows for a smother shave in even the problem areas.
- OptiFoil™ Technology: the series 7-790cc has Braun’s signature and optimized cutting elements that have been created to provide the closest cut while remaining safe. You get the closest shave possible without nicks and cuts.
- Contour adaptability: with a pivotal head and high-end flexible cutting elements the 7-790cc shaver adapts to your face and to multiple hair lengths for a close and comfortable shave.
- Clean & Renew™ system: the 7-790cc shaver comes with all of the bells and whistles on Braun’s trademarked Clean & Renew™ system. The system comes with a replaceable cartridge that lasts about 30 uses and automatically cleans, lubricates and dries the shaver all the while charging it in the stand. The solution used to clean the shaver is alcohol-based to ensure a hygienic shave at each use, and it also lubricates the cutting elements to maintain sharpness, and dries rapidly. The system also comes with a fast cleaning option (25 seconds), automatic charger and leaves the blade smelling of a fresh lemon scent.
- Precision trimmer: the shaver comes with a precision trimmer so that you can trim your hairs to exactly the length that you want them to be.
- 100% waterproof and fully washable: you can rinse the entire shaver under water without any issue.
- Advanced display: the 7-790cc comes with an advanced display feature that shows low charge, battery status and mode in use.
- Rechargeable Li-Ion battery: the shaver can be used cordless and corded and comes with a powerful rechargeable 3.6V Li-Ion battery.
- Full charge in 1hour - up to 50min. cordless shaving: the Braun SmartPlug can be used all over the world as it contains automatic voltage adjustment, and the shaver will charge completely within one hour. Only 5 minutes of charge are needed for one shave.
How the Braun 7-790cc works
The Braun 7-790cc is the most advanced of Braun’s electric shavers, the top of the line in electric shavers in general. It is the most comprehensive in the Braun Series 7 shavers (the other models in the series are the 760cc and the 720s and do not have all of the features of the 790cc).
Can you use it under the shower?
This model is for dry shaving only. It is waterproof and can be rinsed with water for cleaning purposes, but it is not meant to be used as a wet shaver with shaving gel or cream. Using the shaver incorrectly may result in permanent damage. It is recommended that you shave with the 790cc before having a shower, not after, in order to get the ultimate shaving experience.
Experience an Extremely Close Shave with Braun Series 7-790cc
With the advanced technology built into this premium shaver you can expect an extremely close shave without having to spend too much time on it. The device is very easy to use, you can choose the level that works for you (Extra Sensitive, Normal and Intensive) and the display shows you how much battery remains before it will need to be recharged.
The foil cutting elements are ergonomically sized to provide the closest shave, and the middle trimmer really helps lift those pesky hairs that lie flat, even on places like the neck which is notoriously difficult to shave cleanly in one pass. The cleaning unit also works as the battery charger, and is as easy to activate as pressing a button. Using the built-in cleaning technology ensures that your shaver is properly cleansed, lubricated and dried after each use, which also ensures a longer life span.
Braun states that a cleaning cartridge last about 30 shaves, and that they usually need to be replaced about 4 or 5 times a year. If you clean your device after every shave and you shave daily you may be looking at buying replacements every month, so it’s good to keep that in mind.
What Customers Think
A large proportion of customer reviews on Amazon rave about how this electric shaver is excellent on sensitive skin, reducing to eliminating the appearance of razor bumps and shaving-related irritations, even on darker skin which is more prone to razor bumps and razor burn. This is something to keep in mind if you are looking for a close shave but haven’t yet been able to find the device that doesn’t cause you shaving-related skin irritations.
What is there not to like about this electric shaver? It’s very fast, efficient, can be used on all types of skin and hair, even the most sensitive, it charges fast, uses superior technology to make your shaving experience a breeze and even contains its own cleaning station. One of my only issues would have been that it is only to be used for dry shaving, but Braun have also created a Series 7 wet and dry shaver, the 799cc, which has all of the features of the 790cc, with the additional feature of also being available as a wet shaver. The price difference is negligible (about $30 more).
The other minor issue that I found was that the as the solution in the cleaning cartridges is alcohol-based it can evaporate over time, especially if not used frequently, so you will still find that you need to replace them regularly whether you use them or not. So it is best to assume that you will need to replace the cartridge at least every couple of months or so.
I did notice that if you purchase this device online anywhere other than through the Braun site you need to double-check the country it is designed for. I only realized halfway through the review that the item I was looking at on Amazon contained a Korean plug. Best to double-check before purchasing! The Braun Series 7-790cc retails between $200-300 and the replacement cleaning cartridges cost about $20 for 4.
Customer reviews on Amazon are at an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars with mainly 5 star reviews, a few 4 stars and a couple of rare 2 star reviews.
All of the 5 star reviews are about how fast and effective the shaver is, how it works extremely well on sensitive skin and how it works as well as it is described.
One of the 2 star reviews complained about receiving an electric cord for use in China (please see my comment above about double checking this before purchasing above).
The other one complains that it doesn’t shave as closely as it should. These are the only two negative reviews to be found, so I think it is viable to go with the overwhelming positive reactions to this product!
For reference, Walgreens reviews are an average of 4.2 stars out of 5, and Best Buy 4.8 out of 5.
This is THE electric shaver for those who want a fast, efficient and close electric shave. While the 790cc is for dry shaving only, Braun have also created a wet and dry Series 7 shaver, the 799, with all the features of the 790cc. The premium technology makes it the best on the market right now, and the electric shaver that we recommend.
Things we Liked
- Great for sensitive skin
- Built-in cleaning unit
- Close shave without irritation
- Charges fast
Things we didn't Like
- Replaceable cleaning cartridges evaporate
- Dry shave only