Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator Review
The Emjoi Epi Slim requires 2 standard alkaline AA batteries, which are not supplied, so you will need to purchase them separately before you can get going.
It is not waterproof or water resistant, so cannot be used in the bath or shower or anywhere where it is likely to become damp.
It is designed for facial use, and is also great for bikini-line and underarms. Its narrow head (with only 9 tweezers) making it ideal for these smaller areas where you may need a degree of precision.
The slim, easily portable design means that it is great for travel and although not really big enough for regular use on legs etc. it could easily be used for touch-ups whilst you are away.
What's in the Box
The contents of the box:
- Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator complete with Protective Cap
- Cleaning Brush
- Instruction Leaflet
- Warranty Details
The product is powered by 2 AA alkaline batteries, which are not included with the purchase. Obviously this is advantageous when travelling - no need to worry about adaptors or mains voltages.
The battery cover is located at the back and easily slides down to open.
It is important to follow the battery direction symbols located inside the battery compartment.
It is recommended that you only install new batteries of the same type, do not mix old and new batteries or different types of battery.
9 Tweezer Head
The head consists of 9 sets of discs on a rotating wheel, continuously causing the discs to open and close in a pincer movement.
As the wheel rotates, the hair is trapped between the discs and pulled out at the root. As the discs open the hair is released, ready for the next one.
As you can see, the tweezers are arranged alternately either singly or in pairs, to give a more precise epilation than the larger models, perfect for delicate areas.
The head is complete with a protective cover which should always be replaced after use, to store the device safely and prevent any damage to the discs.
The on/off switch has a small white button safety lock to prevent it being turned on accidentally.
To operate the device you need to depress the button whilst pushing upwards towards the head.
To turn it off, depress the button and slide the switch back downwards.
Slim, Portable Design
The compact design makes it ideal for travel, measuring 138mm long by 48mm at the widest point and weighing 113g (with batteries installed).
The body of the epilator is slim, and it narrows slightly in the middle, making it comfortable to hold firmly in the hand.
How to Use the Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator
You should always take time to read the instructions provided thoroughly, especially any precautions. We have summarised these instructions to give you an idea of what is involved in using the Emjoi Epi Slim:
- It is recommended that you test the unit on the back of your hand before using for the first time, to get used to how it feels
- Regular exfoliation with an exfoliation glove or loofah will help to reduce the risk of ingrown hairs
- Taking a warm bath or shower prior to epilating will help to open the pores and soften the skin so that the hair is released from the follicle more easily
- It is not a good idea to share your epilator with anyone, for reasons of hygiene
- Do not continually go over and over the same area or apply pressure
- If hair is longer than 5mm, trim first
Using the Device
- Remove the protective cover and turn on the device by pressing in the safety button lock whilst sliding the switch upwards towards the head
- Hold skin very taut with your spare hand
- Place upright against the treatment area at a 90 degree angle to the skin (the Epi Slim logo should be facing you)
- Without applying pressure, glide the epilator over the skin's surface using rapid circular movements
- Upper lip - take extra care to make sure skin is very taut
- Designed for use on upper lip, chin and jaw line only
- Do not use on or near brows, eyelashes, forehead or hairline
- Ensure the device is turned off
- Use the cleaning brush provided to remove any hairs remaining on the discs
- Remove residue from tweezers by using a cotton swab dampened (but not soaked) with rubbing alcohol gently on the tips
How often you will need to use your epilator on a given area will depend on your hair regrowth rate, and each individual varies.
As a guide, results should last anything from 2 weeks up to 6 weeks - the optimum length that hair should reach for effective epilation is 2 - 4mm.
If you epilate regularly, over time regrowth will become lighter, finer and sparser as the hair follicles are weakened and damaged by having the hair pulled out at the root.
One of the beauties of epilators is that side effects are few and transient.
Having said this, it is not unusual to have redness and/or irritation, especially for the first few times. You may notice tiny blood spots or that your skin has an open pore look, similar to a plucked bird.
These should all disappear pretty quickly and we would advise epilating at night before bed, so that any effects are either gone or well dimished by the morning.
Should you experience any side effects that last more than 3 days, you should seek medical advice.
Ingrown hairs are a risk, which can be minimised through regular exfoliation.
Why use an Epilator?
Epilators have a distinct advantage over shaving in that the results are longer lasting and there is none of the stubble effect which is often experienced.
Regrowth becomes finer and less noticeable over time.
Depilatory creams use strong chemicals and also have shorter lasting results, whilst being a little time-consuming and messy.
Waxing will take the top layer of skin as well as the hair. Obviously using an epilator is much easier and more convenient, especially when travelling.
Is it Painful?
Yes, there is a level of pain involved, although the Emjoi Epi Slim has only 9 tweezers and so the effect is relatively gentle in comparison to the larger, quicker models designed for speedy coverage of large areas.
The pain can be reduced by bathing or showering to open the pores and soften your skin prior to epilating.
If you persevere, over time the skin becomes tolerant to the epilation process and you may even find that you experience none at all or very little.
Emjoi Epi Slim Q & A's
I have a hairy mole on my face, can I use it for this?
No - it is not recommended that you use epilators on moles or warts
Can I use it on my legs?
Well, yes you can use it on your legs, but if you wish to do so regularly I would recommend that you purchase one of the models with a larger head e.g. the Emjoi AP-18 Emagine, or for a cheaper alternative the Braun Silk Epil 3 3170.
Does it come with a charger?
No - you need to purchase 2 AA alkaline batteries separately
Can I use this in the shower?
No - it is for dry use only and should not be used in the bath, shower or near water
Can it be used for black skin?
Absolutely - it makes no difference what skin tone you are
Where is it manufactured?
It is made in China
This is a good, easy to use, inexpensive little epilator, ideal for travelling and effective for its intended purpose.
It's battery operation means that it is convenient for use anywhere - great for facial use and the odd emergency top-up where needed.
If you are in the market for a simple epilator for facial hair that you can easily take with you on holiday, I would recommend this device.
Things we Liked
- Slim, portable design - Easy to travel with
- Battery operated - convenient
- Inexpensive - good value at just under $30
- Small tweezer head - ideal for precise facial hair removal
- Safety switch lock
- One year warranty
Things we didn't Like
- No travel pouch - Given that this is an ideal travelling companion, a protective storage pouch would be good
- Small head - slow for larger areas
- Batteries - need to replace batteries regularly