Epilady Legend 4th Generation Rechargeable Epilator
From Epilady, probably the most well-known epilator Brand, the Legend 4th Generation Epilator has come a long way from the original coil epilator first brought to market by them back in 1986. This device is ergonomically designed with soft grip edges and features 40 discs which form the 20 - tweezer head. Easy to use and suitable for legs and body, if you are in the market for a good all-round, effective epilator from a reputable brand, this could be a good choice. Comes with a one year manufacturer's guarantee
4.1 out of 5 Stars
The Epilady Legend 4th Generation Epilator currently retails at around $50 and is fully rechargeable, for use either cordless or when plugged directly into the mains.
It is designed for dry use only, unlike some other, more expensive models from Epilady such as The Epilady Europa Wet/Dry Epilator or Epilady Ep-920-20 all in one Waterproof Wet-Dry Epilator, Shaver and Trimmer.
There are two speed settings, for quick efficiency or slower, more comfortable epilating in sensitive areas such as bikini, underarms or face.
The interchangeable perfect angle guide cap provided helps you to hold the device at the correct position for optimum results, and is particularly useful if you are a first-time epilator.
Epilady epilators come with a one year guarantee.
What's in the Box?
Contents of the box:
- Epilady Legend 4th Generation Epilator
- Perfect Angle Guide Cap (supplied fitted to device)
- Interchangeable Epilating Head Housing
- Transparent Protective Cap
- Mains Transformer (100 - 240v, complete with 3-pin adaptor)
- Cleaning Brush
- Mesh, Zipped Carrying/Storage Bag
- Instruction Leaflet
Corded or Cordless Use
This device is fully rechargeable for cordless use, but can also be used when it is plugged into the mains.
It has a red light which illuminates whenever the device is plugged in. It does not change colour or go out when the device is fully charged.
The batteries should be charged for at least 12 hours before first use, whether you are using it cordless or not.
Regular charging time is 8 hours, which should allow for 45 - 60 minutes cordless use.
Choice of 2 Speeds
The dual speed function, which is common to all the epilators we have seen, has a slow speed setting for comfort when epilating sensitive areas, and a fast speed setting for maximum efficiency quickly.
It is recommended that you use the faster speed for legs and arms, as shown in the right hand photograph above.
The slower speed is ideal for underarms, bikini, face etc. - shown in the centre.
The "off" position is at the bottom, as shown in the left hand photograph.
Perfect Angle Guide
This is an easily detachable cap, which came already attached to the device.
It has an arm across it, which acts as a guide to positioning the epilator in the correct position for use (approx. 90 degrees angle to the skin).
The pictures above show the steps, left to right that you should use:
- Place the epilator down as shown in left hand picture, so that bar is resting against the skin
- Lift the device up so that the guide bar is gently resting flat against the skin - this should give the perfect angle for use
- Glide the epilator smoothly over the skin against the direction of hair growth, in small circular movements
Once you are accustomed to using the device at the correct angle, you may replace this cap with the regular epilating head housing.
The cap is detached by gently depressing the small buttons on either side and pulling off and re-attached by simply clicking firmly back into place.
40 Disc Epilator Head
The epilator head consists of 40 discs arranged to form 20 sets of tweezers.
These tweezers are on a continuously rotating roller and as it rotates the tweezers alternately open and close, grasping hair as it glides over the skin and plucking it out at the root.
On the fast setting, this will apparently provide 32,000 tweezes per minute.
The white plastic bars that you can see between the tweezers act to hold the skin down whilst the hair is pulled out, with the aim of minimising discomfort.
Where Can it be Used?
The Epilady Legend 4th Generation Epilator can be used almost anywhere on the body.
It is ideal for legs and arms, also bikini-line and underarms.
We would advise you to wear panties or bikini bottoms when epilating the bikini area, a) to show where you need to remove the hair and also b) to protect the genital area.
It can be used on the face, upper lip, chin, neck - but keep well away from eyelashes and head.
The device is suitable for back and chest hair, this should be trimmed first to 2 - 5mm in length, or shaved and then epilated a week or so later.
We would not advise sharing the device for reasons of hygiene.
How to Use your Epilady
It goes without saying that you should always read the instructions that come with your device thoroughly before using, paying particular attention to any safety precautions.
What we have outlined below is a summary of the manufacturer's recommendations for use:
Prior to First Use
- Check that the voltage on the transformer is compatible to your home electricity supply
- Only ever use the transformer provided with the device
- Ensure that the device is switched to "0" (off) and plug cord into the unit before plugging into your mains socket
- The red LED light will illuminate to indicate that the batteries are charging - it will remain on all the time that the device is plugged in
- First charge needs to be for at least 12 hours, whether using cordless or not
- Regular charging time should be 8 hours (charging for longer may shorten the life of the batteries)
- Dry use only - do not use in the shower or bath
How to Use
- Ideally take a warm bath or shower before epilating to open pores
- Exfoliation is a good idea, to remove dead skin cells and bacteria and make help expose all the hairs to be epilated
- Ensure the skin is dry and free from cosmetics, creams etc.
- With spare hand, stretch your skin as taut as possible
- With switch facing you, place the device at the correct angle to skin
- Switch on the device to desired speed
- Always ensure skin is stretched e.g. underarms, inner knee etc. to prevent pinching
- Glide over skin in small circular movements, without applying pressure
- Epilator head must be cleaned thoroughly after every use
- Remove epilator head housing and brush away hairs from tweezers using the cleaning brush provided
- Click the house back into place
- Use protective cap for safe storage
Do not use:
- On sunburnt skin, open cuts, bruises or blisters
- In the bath or shower
- If the electric cord or transformer is damaged
- On moles
- If you have varicose veins, hemophilia or any skin disease without first consulting your physician.
Epilating - What are the Advantages?
Compared to Shaving?
Shaving cuts the hair at the skin's surface, whereas epilating pulls the hair out from the root.
It stands to reason, therefore, that epilating gives longer lasting results which can be as much as 2 - 4 weeks, depending on the area of the body and its natural regrowth rate.
Another advantage is that there is none of the stubble effect often experienced with shaving and in fact, regrowth tends to be finer and with continual use, sparser.
Compared to Waxing?
Whilst the effect of using an epilator for hair removal is similar to waxing in that both involve pulling the hair out at the root, there are a few advantages of epilating:
Firstly, waxing not only removes the hair but it also adheres to the surrounding skin and will remove the top layer, whereas epilating only affects the hairs that it is treating.
Secondly, there is no ongoing cost with using an epilator, which is a one-off purchase that should last for years if well maintained. Obviously not the case with waxing, which requires regular purchases of the product.
Thirdly, there is no mess involved with epilating, which is very convenient and epilators can easily be used anywhere.
Finally, epilating can remove shorter hairs than waxing (from 0.5 mm) and so there is no need for unsightly regrowth between treatments.
How Painful is it? - and How to Minimise
Most people find epilating pretty painful the first time and some will then give up.
Just how painful is rather subjective, and as individual as we ourselves are - for a start, each person's pain threshold is different.
It stands to reason, though, that it is bearable for many, many people or epilators would not be such a popular hair removal choice.
It is universally agreed that your skin will develop resistance to epilating over time, and the pain will lessen or even become largely unnoticeable. This is undoubtedly further aided by the fact that regrowth becomes finer and less dense.
Having said all this, you do need to grit your teeth and bear it for the first few times in order to get to this point, and so here are a few tips to help keep the pain to a minimum:
- Exfoliate regularly between treatments. This removes dead skin cells and bacteria. Exfoliating before you epilate has the added advantage of releasing any flat hairs and helping them to stand up.
- Shower or Bath in warm water prior to epilating. This will open the pores and soften the skin, which will help the hairs to to be released more easily.
- Hold the skin as taut as possible. This is because it will help the hairs stand up so that they can be easily grabbed by the tweezers. It also helps avoid the risk of pinching in areas where skin is naturally "looser" e.g. underarms, bikini etc.
- Make sure that the hair being epilated is at the optimum length (2 - 5 mm) as it is more painful if the hair is too long. Trim any long hairs to the right length, or shave the area and then epilate a week or so later when you can see the regrowth.
- Use a powder, such as baby powder and rub into the area to help the hairs stand up
What are the Side Effects?
Side effects from using epilators are minimal and should be transient, disappearing within a few hours.
That said, it is not unusual to experience redness and irritation to the skin, and you may find using a light moisturising cream beneficial. You should leave at least half an hour after epilating before applying the cream.
Another immediate side effect, particularly for first-time users, can be tiny red blood spots and/or an open pore look, similar to that of a plucked bird.
These potential side effects are likely to lessen with regular use. We would advise epilating in the evening when you are not planning to go out, at least for the first few times until you see what the effect is on your skin.
If you experience any side effects that do not clear completely within 48 hours, we would advise seeking medical advice.
A more annoying side effect can be ingrown hairs - regular exfoliation and careful aftercare will keep this risk to a minimum.
We have published separate articles about how to prevent ingrown hairs and how to remove them.
Epilady Legend 4th Generation Epilator - Q & A's
How many tweezers does it have?
The device has 40 metal discs, forming 20 sets of tweezers
How long is the mains cord?
The mains cord is just over 7ft in length
Can you use it while it is charging?
Absolutely you can, it is designed for corded or cordless use
How long does it take to charge?
It needs to be charged for 12 hours the first time, after that, regular charging time is 8 hours
How long does the charge last?
You should get 45 - 60 minutes continuous cordless use from a complete charge
Can it be used on the face?
Yes it can - for ladies, chin, upper lip, cheeks, sideburns - avoid eye area, eyelashes and do not use on the head
Does it work for men?
Yes - just make sure that hair is trimmed to 2 - 5 mm as longer hair is more painful. Not suitable for male face, but great for back or chest hair.
Would it work on neck hair?
Yes, absolutely - make sure it is trimmed to optimum length first (2 - 5mm)
Where is it made?
Can it be used on the bikini area?
Yes - make sure you pull skin nice and taut. We recommend you use the slower speed and wear panties or such to protect genital area.
Does the head come off to clean under water?
No it doesn't - the epilator cap housing comes off to aid cleaning, but it must never be put under water. It must be cleaned with the brush provided.
Does hair grow back thinner after using the epilator?
Yes it does - over time regrowth becomes finer and sparser with regular use
Is there a warranty with it?
Yes, the product comes with a one year manufacturer's warranty. You must register the purchase as per instructions provided and retain your receipt.
And Finally ..?
I think that, for the $50 price tag, this is a pretty good buy.
It is both efficient and easy to use, although lacking the "bells and whistles" of some of the more expensive models.
The Epilady Brand is synonymous with epilators, so if you like to have the peace of mind that comes with purchasing products from a well-respected and well-known Brand, this certainly fits the bill.
If you want a good all-round epilator that can be used on face and body, without breaking the bank, you can't go far wrong with this device.
Things we Liked
- Cost Effective - one off cost, epilator should last many years, if well looked-after
- Dual Speed - option for efficiency or comfort settings
- Corded or Cordless - option to use straight from the mains if desired
- Silicone Bars - to hold skin down whilst epilating, to make less painful
- Guarantee - one year manufacturer's guarantee
Things we didn't Like
- Dry Use Only - No option to use in the shower
- Head not Detachable - unlike some other models with detachable heads to make cleaning easier, cannot be rinsed under tap