Home Made Shaving Cream – 4 Winning Recipes!
If the idea of making your own shaving cream has you imagining a long and tedious process you can think again – as we show you in the recipes listed below, there is no need for any special equipment or even a lot of ingredients.
Why Make Home Made Shaving Cream?
Over the past decade or so natural, organic foods have become more and more popular, especially in the light of so many foods containing more preservatives. As it is still unclear exactly as to how these preservatives could affect us people have been looking towards using a more natural food or product.
The same goes for beauty products and toiletries, where more people are trying to steer clear of products that have been tested on animals and that contain chemicals, moving towards soaps and shampoos that are labelled as natural and chemical-free. However, these more natural products are often more expensive than “regular” products, so there has been a growing interest in homemade shampoos, soaps, deodorants and shaving creams.
If you want to make sure your shaving creams are 100% organic it is important to purchase unrefined, unprocessed ingredients. If you are just aiming for a low-cost alternative, you can use any kind.
Overview of the Recipes
All of the ingredients listed in the recipes below are easily available in your regular grocery or drug store, and on Amazon.
You can keep the creams listed below for up to 2 months and they will make your skin super soft and your shave more of a pleasure than a chore! All recipes below are completely free of chemical preservatives, dyes, perfumes and colouring.
Recipe 1 - A Creamy Shave for a Man / Woman
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup shea or cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil or grapeseed oil
- 10-20 drops of an essential oil of your choice (optional for fragrance)
- 2 Vitamin E capsules (options, acts as a preservative)
- Melt the coconut oil and shea/cocoa butter together on a low heat. Transfer to a room-temperature container and stir in the olive oil (and essential oils and contents of the Vitamin E capsules if so desired). Place in a refrigerator until the mixture has hardened into a solid butter-like consistency.
- Once hardened, place in a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer for 3-5 minutes, until the content is of a light and creamy consistency.
- It’s important to ensure the content is whipped for at least 3 minutes, so that the oils don’t separate when it is stored. Store in an airtight container in a dry, dark space (cupboard) when not in use.
Recipe 2 - For a creamy, hydrating shave (works very well on men’s facial hair)
- 1/4 cup olive, almond, jojoba, grapeseed or coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp Shea or Cocoa Butter
- 1/4 cup aloe gel or honey
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup liquid castille soap
- 2 vitamin E capsules (optional)
- 1 tbsp Kaolin clay or white cosmetic clay (optional)
- 10-20 drops of essential oil (optional)
- On a low heat melt the oil and shea/cocoa butter together. Transfer to a room-temperature container and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix with an electric mixer for 3-5 minutes, until the butter is light and creamy
- Once cooled, if the content begins to separate, whip it for a few more minutes so that it becomes light and creamy again
- Store in an airtight container in a dry, dark space (cupboard) when not in use.
Recipe 3 - Bar Shave Soap
- 1 bar of natural, handmade soap (not regular soap)
- 1 tbsp olive, almond, grapeseed, jojoba oil or aloe vera gel
- 1-2 tbsp white clay, French clay, kaolin, or cosmetic clay
- Grate the soap bar with a cheese grater (this will help it melt faster) and melt with oil or aloe vera on a low heat, while constantly stirring
- Once the content has melted, stir in the clay (this is great for both lather and hydration purposes).
- Before the content cools, pour into moulds and leave to harden. This soap lasts a LONG time!
Recipe 4: Foamy Shaving Soap
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
- 1/4 cup liquid castille soap
- 1 tbsp olive, grapeseed, jojoba or almond oil
- 1/4 cup warm distilled water
- 2 vitamin E capsules (content of)
- 20 -30 drops of essential oils (optional)
- 8 ounce or larger bottle (for storage)
- Add all of the ingredients into the bottle and shake until mixed.
- Shake before every use.
- Essential oils are optional if you prefer some fragrance in your soap. This soap foams up well for a close and hydrating shave.
Directions for Usage
- As these are all natural soaps and creams they have a shelf life of 1-2 months (apart from the bar soap which will last a lot longer).
- It is possible that the oils may separate from the butters if the contents are not whipped enough to begin with.
- Always store content in an airtight container and in a dark space such as your bathroom cupboard.