Hot Legs Salon Quality Cool Gel Wax Review
Hot Legs is produced in Australia and is a cold hair removal gel which does not need to be heated prior to use.
There are 6 reusable cloth strips provided with the product, together with a wooden application spatula.
Hot Legs also manufacture a warm wax in their range, which is microwaveable, if this is what you prefer.
Suitable for use all over the body, it is produced from natural ingredients to be gentle, even on sensitive skin.
What's in the Box?
- One 12.4 oz (350g) Cool Gel Wax
- 6 Reusable Pulling Strips
- One Wooden Application Spatula
- Instruction Leaflet
A Look at the Product
On opening the pot, the first thing I noticed was the deep green colour and the delicate hint of peppermint fragrance.
The gel is soft and sticky at room temperature, and as mentioned previously, there is no need to heat it prior to use.
It is worth noting that it is best not to store this product in too cold conditions as it will become less easy to spread.
The wooden application spatula provided measures 105mm X 20mm (tip to tip) and is slanted at each end for ease of use.
There are 6 polyastro strips provided, each measuring 230mm X 75mm and which are designed for use with this product. They can be easily cut down to size for small areas as required.
After use the strips can be washed clean simply using warm water, and then dried and stored away ready for next time.
The picture below gives a list of the ingredients, taken straight from the box:
Where Can it be Used?
Although the name Hot Legs implies that this product is for use on the legs it can, in fact, be used for just about all parts of the face and body.
Exceptions to this are; nose hair, ear hair, eyelashes or on the genital or vaginal areas.
In line with all wax products it is not suitable for use on moles, warts, varicose veins, eczema or damaged, irritated or sunburnt skin.
How to Use the Product
Hair needs to be between 5mm - 1cm in length for this product to work effectively.
Therefore after shaving, using depilatories etc. you will need to wait until the hair has grown out to the minimum length prior to waxing (approx. 2 weeks, depending on area and individual hair growth).
If hair is longer than 1cm, then first trim to the correct length with scissors.
Test a small part of the area to be waxed 24 hours prior to each use, to check that you have no adverse reactions to the treatment.
If any adverse reaction occurs, do not use the product.
- Be sure to read any instructions provided carefully, paying particular attention to precautions, before you start
- Make sure area to be treated is clean, dry and free from make-up, creams etc.
- If you are treating a small area such as upper lip etc. cut the strip down to an appropriate size
- You need to apply the gel in a thin layer (as thinly as possible), spreading in the direction of the hair's natural growth i.e. for legs this will be from top to bottom or for lips, from centre under the nose, towards the outer edge of the mouth
- Place a strip on top of the gel wax and smooth down gently, again following the direction of hair's growth
- Hold the skin as taut as possible with your spare hand
- With the other hand, grasp the end of the strip and pull back firmly and quickly in one "zip" in the opposite direction to the hair's growth, keeping as close to the skin as possible
- If all the hair is not removed first time, you can repeat the procedure
- To reduce any stinging or irritation which is normal after waxing, you can apply a cold compress to the area
- The manufacturer recommends the use of Hot Legs after waxing oil, but truthfully any non-astringent moisturising oil may be used to soothe the skin
What are the Advantages of Using Wax?
Waxing is a popular form of hair removal and this is partly because it is a relatively cheap and easy process to do yourself in the comfort of your own home, and at your own convenience.
Here are a few advantages that waxing has compared to other forms of at home hair removal:
- Results that last - the results achieved by waxing last significantly longer than with other methods such as shaving and depilatory creams, which only remove hair at the skin's surface
- Lighter Regrowth - waxing produces sparser and finer regrowth with regular use, whereas shaving often has a stubbly effect and depilatories make no difference
- Quick and easy - waxing will cover large areas much more quickly than the other at home methods that remove hair from the root i.e. tweezing and epilating
- Versatile and inexpensive - most at home waxing products are pretty cost effective, saving large sums when set against the cost of salon treatments and are safe for use on almost all parts of the body
Is it Painful?
Any method of hair removal that involves pulling hair out at the root will necessarily involve a certain level of pain.
However, if you prepare the skin properly and follow the instructions carefully it should be bearable.
More sensitive areas will obviously be the worst, and there are products available to help with this.
If you are waxing for the first time, start with less sensitive areas until you perfect the method and get used to how it feels.
It is a good idea to rub some baby powder into the area prior to waxing, to help ensure that it is moisture-free, and wax does not adhere to the skin.
It is usual to experience some redness/irritation or sensation immediately after waxing, but this should calm down within 2 - 3 hours. The best time to wax is in the evening when you are not planning to go out, so that the effects have time to wear off overnight.
Hot Legs Questions and Answers
Do cloth strips come with this product?
Yes, there are 6 strips provided and they are reusable, but for large areas of dense hair you may need to purchase some extras
Do you need a microwave to use this?
No you don't, the gel is used straight from the tub with no warming required
Does the product come with a post treatment oil?
No, you need to purchase this separately. There is a Hot Legs after oil spray available.
Is Hot Legs cool gel wax suitable for sensitive skin?
I didn't have a problem, but do be sure to carry out a patch test on a small area 24 hours prior to full treatment to check for adverse effects.
Can this product be used on the face?
Yes, it is suitable for use on most areas of the face and body, just not for ear hair, nose hair, eyelashes or genitals
I have hair growing from a mole on my face - can I use Hot Legs gel for this?
No - waxing is not suitable for use on moles or warts - the best solution for you would be tweezing.
I found Hot Legs cool gel wax to be particularly easy to use on large areas, given that no heating is required.
One tip though; the thinner the layer of gel the better, the thicker it is the less effective it becomes.
There is certainly a lot to be said for a product that is ready to use straight from the pot and that can be easily removed with just water.
I found the light scent of peppermint to be pleasant and it compared well with other wax products on pain level.
All in all, I was pleased with this product and thought that it offered good value for money.
Things we Liked
- Inexpensive - for a good sized, 12.4 oz pot
- No heating - nice and easy to use straight from the pot, no danger of over-heating and burning
- Effective - especially for coarse hair
- Easy to clean - washes off with just warm water
- Gentle formula - even for sensitive skin
- Versatile - can be used on face and body
Things we didn't Like
- Minimum length 5mm - Hair needs to have at least 5mm growth before product is effective
- After oil not included - needs to be purchased separately
- Only 6 strips - for large areas it is advisable to purchase additional strips