Nair Hair Remover Face Cream Review
From a very well known Brand, Nair Hair Remover Face Cream is specifically designed for use on facial hair and includes sweet almond oil among its ingredients, to help moisturize the skin. Currently retailing at around $4 for a 2oz (57g) tube, the product is comparatively low priced, so good value for money
3.5 out of 5 Stars
Nair is a well known hair removal Brand from US manufacturers Church & Dwight Co, Inc., and they have a range of depilatory creams, sprays and gels.
This particular product is for use on the upper lip, chin and face but, as with all depilatories, it should be kept well away from the eye area and is not suitable for use on eyebrows.
There is also a Nair facial hair remover cream specially for sensitive skin.
What You Get
In the box is one, good sized, 2 oz (57g) tube of Nair hair remover face cream. No frills or extras, but at a good price!
A full set of instructions is included on the box, and repeated on the tube itself, but there is no separate leaflet and you will need to keep the box to retain the list of ingredients.
A Look At Nair Hair Remover Face Cream
The cream is pink in colour, and actually smells quite nice for a depilatory cream.
I must admit, I have recently reviewed a number of depilatory creams and have been generally quite surprised at how much better they smell now than in the early days.
Several of the depilatories I have looked at include a separate after-care cream and/or application spatula.
This is a stand-alone product which is competitively priced and the tube holds sufficient cream to last for many applications.
What Does it Contain?
Obviously, if you have any known allergies it is important to check the ingredients of the cream prior to use.
The following picture was shot straight from the box and lists the ingredients for this product:
How To Use
Read Instructions carefully before use and take account of all warnings and precautions.
You should always carry out a test to check for adverse reactions at least 24 hours prior to use:
Apply product to a small, unobtrusive part of the area to be treated following usage instructions.
Wait for 24 hours and if skin appears normal, with no irritation, you may proceed to use the product as directed.
If you experience stinging, burning or any irritation, remove the product immediately with a damp cotton ball or cloth and then rinse the area thoroughly with lukewarm water and do not use.
If irritation continues, seek medical advice.
Directions for Use
- Remove all make-up
- Using fingertips apply cream in a thick, even layer to cover the hair
- DO NOT RUB IN
- Wash hands immediately and thoroughly
- Replace cap straight away, and close tightly
- Leave cream on for 5 minutes and then check a small area to see if the hair comes away easily
- If it does not work properly after 5 minutes, leave for a few minutes longer and test again
- DO NOT EXCEED 10 MINUTES IN TOTAL
- To remove, gently wipe away cream and hair with a damp cotton ball or cloth without rubbing
- Rinse skin thoroughly with lukewarm water
- Gently pat dry
- Allergic reaction may occur even after prior use without adverse effect, so carry out skin test before each application.
- Do not use on compromised, irritated, sunburnt, inflamed or broken skin
- Keep away from eyes - if contact occurs flush immediately with lukewarm water and if irritated, seek medical advice
- Not for use around eyes, in nose or ears, on nipples or perianal and vaginal/genital areas.
- Leave a minimum of 72 hours between treatments
- Keep out of the reach of children
- For external use only
The warning listed are those given in the Nair instructions.
I would add that, with regard to all depilatory creams in general, they should not be used on moles or warts.
You should avoid sunbathing for 24 hours before and after treatment.
Also, if you have any skin disorder, circulatory issues or diabetes, you should seek medical advice prior to use.
Other hair removal methods are available if you have any doubt or find that you are unable to use depilatories for any reason.
Is It Effective?
Personally, it did work for me, but I found that I needed almost the full 10 minutes before the hair came away really easily.
Having said that, although I have quite sensitive skin I did not experience any problems or irritation, and the skin felt soft and not dry after treatment.
Depilatory creams are very subjective generally and reviews for this product are varied, as they are with all the depilatories that I have looked at.
All I can say is that, for me, the product worked well and I feel that it represents good value for money.
The Advantages of Depilatory Creams for Hair Removal
I recently carried out a full review of the pros and cons of using depilatory creams for hair removal.
Here are the main advantages:
- Pain-Free - Assuming that you have no allergic reactions to the cream, this is one of the two completely pain free hair removal methods, the other being shaving. The results of using depilatory creams last a little longer than shaving, as the hair is removed to just below the skin's surface. Also, shaving is a common cause of ingrown hairs, which are not a side-effect of depilatories.
- Convenient - they are easy to use, with no skill required and can be used at times to suit yourself at home.
- Versatile - There are various depilatory creams, sprays, gels etc. available on the market today specially designed for use on most areas of the body (with a few exceptions) and they are fine to use on all skin tones.
- Value for Money - prices range from around $4 upwards with sufficient product for several applications (depending on size of area being treated, of course).
Pros and Cons of Nair Hair Remover Face Cream
Things we Liked
- Value for Money - At around $4 for a substantial, 2oz tube, one of the least expensive depilatories we have tested
- Odour - A relatively well-scented product
- Quick and Easy - works in 5 - 10 minutes (took 10 minutes for me)
Things we didn't Like
- No Separate Instruction Leaflet - However, instructions are printed on the back of the tube (you would need to keep box for ingredients)
Our Final Thoughts
Nair hair remover face cream worked for me, albeit that it required the maximum 10 minutes.
I found that it had a pleasant odour, and the generous 2 oz tube size means that there is sufficient product to last for many applications.
These considerations coupled with the $4 price tag combine to provide a good product at an affordable price which I can happily recommend.