Philips SatinShave Prestige Wet & Dry Shaver
The Philips SatinShave Prestige has a slim, ergonomic design with anti-slip grip which gives a good, firm, comfortable hold.
It measures 15cms (6.3") from top to bottom, pretty much a standard size for lady shavers.
The device is fully rechargeable for convenient, cordless use anywhere and is fully waterproof so that you may use it either dry or wet, even in the shower if you wish.
It comes complete with a separate, smaller bikini trimmer head, bikini comb and efficiency cap.
What's in the Box?
- Philips SatinShave Prestige Shaver
- Bikini Trimmer Head
- Bikini Trimmer Comb
- Travel Cap
- Efficiency Cap
- Travel Pouch
- Cleaning Brush
- Power Adaptor (120V AC)
A Look at the Product
The shaver head consists of two independently floating nickel foils which flex from side to side, whilst the whole head pivots backwards and forwards.
This is specially designed to closely follow the body's contours as it glides across the skin, making it easier to maintain contact at all times.
Therefore, fewer hairs are missed and there is less need to go over the same area repeatedly.
There are comfort cushions positioned on either side of the shaving head to help the shaver pass smoothly across the body for a more gentle shave, especially on sensitive skin.
The blades, which sit under the protective foils, are specially curved to further aid them to follow the contours, to cut the hair as close as possible to the base for an efficient, smooth finish.
There is an integral trimmer in the shaver head for tackling longer hairs.
The ends of the trimmer are rounded and there are safety bars located under the trimmer to minimise any risk of irritation.
The separate, smaller, interchangeable bikini trimmer head and comb can be used to shape and trim the delicate bikini area with precision.
The shaver head is removed by pressing the release button on the back of the device, and the bikini trimmer head can then simply be clicked into its place.
The comb is then pressed over the trimmer.
The efficiency cap is designed to help pull the skin taut whilst guiding hair into the blades.
It is easily snapped into place over the shaver head, and should give a more effective shave in a single pass.
The lithium-ion battery is fully charged in just one hour and gives an hour's shaving time.
The battery indicator lights whilst the device is charging and shows the battery status, so you are reminded when it is getting low.
There is also a quick 5 minute charge function in case you are caught out - to give enough power for one shave.
A travel cap is included to protect the foils when travelling, although it is a good idea to replace it any time whilst the device not in use.
Finally, a drawstring storage/travel pouch completes the accessories.
How to Use
As with any electrical appliance, it is important to read the manufacturers instructions fully prior to use, paying particular attention to any safety precautions.
We have outlined the main usage instructions to give you an idea of how it all works:
- For dry use, make sure that your skin is clean and completely free of moisture, cosmetics, oils etc.
- If you need to, you could use a little talc rubbed into the skin to make sure that it is completely dry
- For wet use, you may use shaving cream or gel etc. if you wish.
- Use the shaving head for legs, arms, underarms, stomach and bikini line.
- The efficiency cap can be attached onto the shaving head to help the hairs stand up so that they are more easily removed (optional)
- Make sure that the shaver is fully charged and disconnected from the power (it will not operate whilst plugged into the mains). This will take an hour.
- Position the shaver so that the head is in full contact with the skin, which will be at approximately a 90 degree angle
- Glide the shaver slowly across the skin in the opposite direction to the hair's growth, using very light pressure.
- Make sure that your skin is held very taut to avoid pinching, especially areas where you have looser skin, such as underarms.
- The small shaver head can be used wherever you require more precision and is especially suitable for the bikini area
- With the device switched off, remove the shaver head and replace with the bikini head
- It is recommended that you trim your bikini area when dry
- The bikini trimmer comb is snapped on over the head and trims hair to 3mm in length
Advantages of Shaving
If you have pale skin and dark hair, you may find that shaving is not the best method of hair removal for you, as you can experience a shadowy effect.
However if, like me, you have light hair there are a number of advantages that shaving has over other methods:
- Painless - a big plus if you have a low pain threshold and the idea of waxing under your arms or your bikini area brings tears to your eyes just thinking of it! The only other painless method would be to use depilatory creams, assuming that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients. The results from creams last a little longer than shaving, however you do need to bear in mind that you are covering your skin in some pretty strong chemicals.
- Convenient - you can shave anywhere, at any time with minimal fuss or effort - even travelling is not an issue.
- Quick and Easy - if you are using an electric shaver, there is no special technique to speak of, and dry shaving could not be quicker. In comparison to other methods such as waxing and depilatories, there is little clearing up afterwards and minimal ongoing purchasing required. So, although you need to shave more frequently than other methods, the speed and lack of mess balances it out somewhat.
- Cost Effective - beyond the initial outlay, there are no real ongoing costs other than occasional replacement of blades and foils (usually every 6 - 12 months).
Product Questions & Answers
Is there a charging stand for this device?
No, there is a cord that plugs into the mains and directly into the shaver
Can the shaver be used whilst plugged in?
No, it can only be used cordlessly - it takes one hour to charge fully and will give one hour's continuous use
Do you have to buy any replacement parts? - If so, what and how often?
To maintain optimum performance it is recommended that the foils and cutters are replaced annually, or sooner if they are worn or damaged.
Can the shaver be used on the face?
Yes, there is no reason why not, although it may not be the best hair removal option for ladies facial hair, depending on the area and thickness/darkness. To explore the available options see our article Best Female Facial Hair Removal Products
Do you have to use shaving cream?
No, you don't have to but you can if you wish. It can be used wet or dry, with or without creams/soaps/gels.
Is it good to use on sensitive skin?
Yes, it should be fine - but it is always worth testing on a small area first before going in for the kill!
All in all, an efficient, quality lady shaver from a reputable manufacturer with good features, at a reasonable price.
Complete with 45 day money-back guarantee, you can't really go wrong with this product.
What We Liked
- Value for Money - a good few features for around $55
- Good brand - Philips are one of the biggest and best known shaver brands - reliable quality
- Quick Charge Function - a convenient feature, so handy if you have forgotten to charge the shaver
- Indicator Light - reminds you if battery is low
- Suits Sensitive Skin
- Easy to Use - no special technique required
- Wet or Dry - versatility
- Bikini Shaver Head - for precision shaping and trimming
- Warranty and Guarantee
What We Didn't Like
- Frequent Use - as with all shavers, regrowth appears quickly so frequent shaving necessary