Sally Hansen Creme Hair Remover Duo Kit for Face Review
Sally Hansen manufacture in the USA and include a range of cream and wax hair removers as well as a hair bleaching products.
The Creme Hair Remover Duo Kit for face is a gentle depilatory cream specially formulated for the face, together a moisturizing, post treatment lotion.
Whilst the product is suitable for use on facial hair, it must be kept away from the eyes and lips and is not suitable for use on the eyebrows, nose or ears.
There is also a Sally Hansen brush on hair remover cream for face available
What You Get
In the box, you get one good sized, 56.7g (2oz) tube of Sally Hansen Creme hair remover and one 14.7ml (0.5 fl oz) pot of Extrasmooth aftercare lotion.
There is also a complete instruction leaflet with full details on use of the product, how to conduct a skin test prior to use and any relevant precautions.
Currently retailing at just at $5.25 for a single pack, this is one of the least expensive hair removal creams that I have looked at. Especially considering the large size of the tube, it looks like it represents pretty good value for money - depending on results, of course!
A Look at The Kit
Aside from the large size of tube, the next thing I noticed when opening the cream was the scent, which, although quite strong is not offensive.
I have to say that the odour of depilatory creams generally has improved over the years.
Having said that, I am not too sure that having it right under my nose (on the upper lip, say) for 5 minutes would be my favourite thing to do!
I think that addition of the aftercare lotion is a great bonus for the price.
What are the Ingredients?
As with any product, it is important to check what it contains, especially if you are aware of any allergies to certain chemicals.
The photographs below illustrate what is in the hair remover cream and aftercare lotion, and are shot straight from the box:
How to Use the Product
Whenever using any chemical on the skin, it is important to carry out a skin test prior to use. In this case it is recommended that you do so 24 hours prior to use, on a one-inch area on the inside fold of your elbow:
- Using fingertips apply a thick layer of hair removal cream to the area (approx 1/16" thick) WITHOUT RUBBING IN
- Wash you hands immediately
- Leave the product on for 8 minutes
- Wipe off with damp tissue or cotton wool ball
- Rinse with lukewarm water
- Wait for 24 hours and if no irritation or redness occurs, proceed to use product as directed.
- If you experience any adverse reaction; irritation, stinging, burning etc. remove product immediately and rinse the area thoroughly. Do Not Use.
You should not use any soaps or astringents for 2 hours before and after treatment and avoid areas where other hair removal methods such as waxing, tweezing or shaving have been used within 24 hours.
- Using fingertips, smooth the cream over the hair to be removed, covering it thickly and completely
- Do No Rub In
- Thoroughly wash hands immediately
- Wipe opening of cream tube before replacing cap and store in a safe place out of the reach of children.
- Wait for 3 minutes and test a small area by wiping away with a damp cotton ball. If the hair comes away cleanly and easily, proceed to next step. If not, reapply and wait a further 2 minutes, then try again.
- Do not leave product on skin for longer than 8 minutes and do not allow to dry on the skin
- Thoroughly remove cream with dampened tissue or cotton ball and then rinse with lukewarm water (do not use soap)
- Pat dry
- Smooth aftercare lotion onto the treated skin and allow to dry.
You should wait at least 24 hours between treatments.
- Do not use if you have a medical condition that may be affected by compromised skin
- Seek medical advice before you use this product if you suffer from a skin related disorder, diabetes or circulatory problems and do not use when undergoing Glycolic Acid or other dermatological treatment.
- Do not use on breast, perianal, genital, vaginal, nose or ear areas or on open, irritated, sunburnt or otherwise compromised skin
- Do not use on moles or warts
- Keep product away from eyes and brows. If contact with eyes occurs, irrigate immediately with cold water and seek medical advice straight away if irritation occurs
- Do not sunbathe or go swimming for at least 24 hours after treatment
- If adverse reactions occur when using this product such as burning, stinging etc. gently remove immediately and rinse the area well with lukewarm water, apply cold compress - seek medical advice
- Contains Thioglycolate
- Store safely and out of reach of children
Is it Effective?
Well, having read the most recent reviews on the net, it seems that opinion is definitely divided on this product - some hate it, some love it. The majority are, however, positive.
I can only speak personally when I say that it worked for me; I left it on for 5 minutes and all the hair came away cleanly when I removed the cream. I have sensitive skin, but was not adversely affected in any way.
The after lotion is good and non-oily and left the treatment area feeling soft and moisturized. The only down side was that I found that it was not so easy to get the lotion out of the bottle and had to shake it out.
I think it is worth mentioning that some individuals can develop adverse reactions to the chemicals in hair removal creams, even after using regularly for a long time without effect.
It is for this reason that it is recommended that you carry out a skin test prior to each use.
What are the Advantages of Depilatory Creams?
Unlike many other hair removal methods, depilatory creams are pain-free, which is most likely the appeal to many users.
Depilatory creams break down the hair to remove it fractionally below the skin's surface, so unlike shaving (the other pain-free method) it does not leave as much of a "shadow" and has the added advantage that it lasts longer.
Creams can be used on most areas of the body, and is produced in different strengths to tackle the thickness and coarseness of each area. You just need to make sure that you buy the correct one for your need.
They are versatile and can be used on all different skin types and colours and can be used at home for quick and convenient results.
Finally, they are relatively cheap, ranging from around $5 - $15 depending on the size of the treatment area and thickness/coarseness of the hair.
More information about use of depilatory creams is available in our complete guide.
Pros and Cons of Sally Hansen Creme Hair Remover Duo
Things we Liked
- Low Cost -- Compared to other facial hair removal creams at only $5.25 for a 56.7g tube
- Aftercare Lotion - pleasant and leaves skin feeling moisturized and soothed
- Works Quickly - from 3 minutes to a maximum of 8 minutes
Things we didn't Like
- Odour - Whilst not offensive it is quite strong.
- Aftercare Lotion Bottle - not so easy to get the lotion out as in a tube or squeezy bottle.
Our Final Thoughts
From my perspective, this product achieves what I want from a depilatory cream; it removes hair efficiently and it has no adverse side effects for me.
It is certainly good value for money, and so I would happily recommend the product for the use and areas for which it is intended.