Sally Hansen Hair Remover Wax Strip Kit Review
Sally Hansen products are manufactured in the USA, and are a Brand of Coty Inc.
The wax strip kit for face, brows and bikini is just one in the range and there is also a similar kit available for underarms, legs and body.
The wax is sandwiched between 2 clear plastic backing sheets which are peeled carefully apart to give 2 ready to use strips.
There are 3 sizes of strip; 18 small, 12 medium and 4 large for use depending on the size of the area to be treated.
The product is very easy to use, with no mess or hassle, and currently retails from about $4 for the pack of 34 including azulene finishing oil, so pretty inexpensive for what you get.
What's in the Box?
- 17 Double sided wax strips - in 3 sizes
- 0.5 fl oz (14.7ml) Bottle Azulene Oil
- Instruction Leaflet
A Look at the Product
As previously mentioned, there are 3 sizes of strip; small, medium and large. The instructions merely say that you should use the appropriate size for the area being treated.
I worked on the assumption that the smallest one's are most appropriate for the brows or upper lip, the medium for other areas of the face e.g. chin and the large for the bikini line.
There are 9 double-sided small strips (18 in all), each measuring approx. 17mm x 50mm.
They seemed a little large to me for removing hair from the under-brow area, so I actually cut them down a little, to help avoid getting them on the eyelid.
However, for the upper lip, I found them to be just the right size.
There are 6 double-sided medium strips (12 in all), each measuring approx. 30mm x 50mm, a good size for removing chin hair.
I also quite liked this size for the bikini line, but I guess this would depend on the individual, how much hair is being removed and from how large an area.
There are 2 double-sided large strips (4 in all), each measuring approx. 30mm x 100mm.
The kit includes a 0.5 fl oz (14.7ml) bottle of azulene oil for use post-treatment to remove any remaining traces of wax, soothe and moisturize the skin.
The oil is fragrance-free and leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth.
Below is shown a list of ingredients for both the wax strips and finishing oil to check in case of any known allergies.
Just to be sure, you should carry out a patch test 24 hours prior to using the product, in order to test your skin for adverse reactions.
Do this by using the product, following instructions, on an area such as the inside of the elbow.
How to Use the Product
- Hair to be removed should be at least 1/4" long
- Make sure your skin is clean, dry and free of any makeup or oils by washing with soap and water
- Make sure that the skin is completely dry
- Choose the correct size of strip that you require
- Warm the wax by rubbing gently between your hands
- Gently pull the two plastic backing sheets apart to give 2 strips
- Press one strip against area to be treated, firmly and press in the direction of hair growth
- Hold skin as taut as possible with one hand and zip off the strip quickly with the other hand, against direction of hair's growth, keeping as close to the skin as possible
- Press hand firmly against the waxed area immediately to help reduce reddening of the skin
- Repeat until area is hair-free, avoiding re-application to the same spot
- Apply azulene oil sparingly on cotton wool or tissue to the treated area to remove any residue and moisturize the skin
- Dispose of used strips after use - they are single use only and cannot be reused
- Waxing should not be performed on any area that has been previously waxed, shaved, tweezed or where depilatory cream has been used for at least 24 hours
- Do not use on compromised skin. You should seek medical advice prior to use if you suffer from any skin-related disorder, diabetes or circulatory issues or if you are receiving any dermatological treatment.
- Not suitable for use over moles or warts
- Not for use on perianal or vaginal/genital areas or on nose hair, ears, eyelids or lips
- Do not use on chapped, irritated, sunburnt or cut skin
Additionally, you should not use this treatment immediately after a hot bath or shower.
For best results you should wait approximately 3 weeks after you have shaved or treated the area with other hair removal methods prior to using these strips.
Only apply to a given area once in any 24 hour period to minimise irritation and wait for at least 24 hours before sunbathing, swimming or, for underarms, using deodorant.
How Effective is it?
Personally, I found this product to work pretty well for my fine, light hair.
Generally, reviews for this product seem to be a bit mixed, as they are with most waxing products, but for the price, it is certainly worth giving them a try.
I actually tested the larger wax strips on my legs, and found that they worked pretty well, although the hair did need to be long enough, as the shorter hairs were not removed - the manufacturer recommends at least 1/4"growth.
If they work for you, then they are well worth the purchase as they are so simple to use and very inexpensive.
Why Choose Waxing for Hair Removal?
One of the advantages of waxing is that it is pretty easy to do at home, providing the area you wish to wax is reachable, and therefore so much cheaper than visiting a salon.
Of course, being able to carry out the treatment in the comfort of your own home and at your own convenience is an attraction for many people, coupled with the privacy aspect - not needing to "bare all" to anyone.
Waxing also produces lighter and sparser regrowth with regular use, and over time the pain becomes less of an issue as your skin's tolerance increases. We have published separate articles with tips to minimise pain while waxing and best products to relieve pain while waxing.
It is quicker than using an epilator - with quite large areas being cleared with one zip!
Product Questions and Answers
Are strips provided?
The wax comes ready-applied between 2 clear plastic strips, so that you can easily see the area you are applying it to. You just need to warm the wax gently between your hands and then pull the plastic sheets apart to make usable 2 strips.
Do you have to heat the product up?
Not as such, you just soften the wax using the warmth of your hands.
Can you use on underarm hair?
There is no reason why not, but Sally Hansen do produce a separate product specifically for underarms, legs and body with suitable sized strips included.
How long does hair have to be for this to be effective?
For best results hair should be at least 1/4" long - it is advisable to let hair grow out for approx. 21 days following shaving etc. before using this product.
Is it easy to use - for first timers?
Yes, this is a very easy product to use, although perhaps not for first time eyebrow shaping. It is advisable to go to a professional to have eyebrows shaped for the first time, and thereafter it is much easier to keep them tidy using wax strips and tweezers.
Is it very painful?
No, if used correctly, not too painful - I found it was more of a sting, with an itchy after sensation. The azulene oil that comes with the product helps to soothe the skin and remove any remaining traces of wax. After effects should clear within a couple of hours.
I have come to the conclusion that this product can definitely be effective if, like me, you have fine, light hair.
If, however, your hair is thicker and coarser you may need to use more of the strips to achieve the desired results.
Method is important, making sure to soften the wax with your hands prior to use, and zipping off the strip in the opposite direction to hair growth, as is making sure that hair length is sufficient (at least 1/4").
All this said, I like the product for its simplicity of use and for the price, I would recommend giving it a try.
Things we Liked
- Inexpensive - from around just $4 for 34 strips
- Azulene Oil - included to remove any remnants of wax, soothe and moisturize post treatment
- No Mess - ready to use strips
- Quick and Easy - simply warm between hands and use!
Things we didn't Like
- Brow Shaping Fiddly - Even the smallest sized strips were a little large for under brow use without touching eyelid
- Mix of Strips - only 4 large, would have preferred an extra 8 mediums instead