Silk’n Flash & Go Compact and Trim Review
The Silk'n Flash&Go light-based hair removal device is manufactured by Home Skinovations Ltd., in Israel.
It uses Home Skinovation's patented HPL technology to disable the hair follicle, leading to permanent reduction in hair growth, over time.
With a spot size of 2.7 cm square, it is ideal for smaller, sensitive areas such as underarm, upper lip etc., whilst still able to tackle larger areas such as the legs.
It comes with a hefty 150,000 pulses, so there is no need to purchase expensive replacement cartridges, and the compact design and deluxe storage case make it perfect for travelling.
The device is mains operated, with power cord and adaptor included (100 - 240v).
The trimmer is battery operated, and can be used prior to HPL treatments or precision trimming of the eyebrows, where HPL is not suitable.
The pen-like design is so slim and discreet that it can easily be kept in your purse for use on the go, anywhere.
Contents of the Box
Silk'n Flash&Go Compact
- Compact Hair Removal Device
- Power Cord and Adaptor
- Carrying Case
- Instruction Manual
- Trimming Head
- Additional Trimming Head
- Trimming Comb
- Cleaning Brush
- 1 x AAA Battery
A Close Look at the Product
The Silk'n Flash&Go has a relatively small spot size at 2.7cm square, just under half the size of the Silk'n SensEpil, which would suggest that it is comparatively slow.
However, its optional glide function somewhat counteracts this; you can simply hold down the button and glide the device slowly across the skin as it flashes.
There is an inbuilt skin sensor, to ensure that your skin is suitable for treatment and it will not operate if it detects that the skin is too dark (this is further explained below).
The device has 5 power levels available, and indicator lights on the control pad illuminate to show at which level it is currently set. This defaults back to the lowest, level 1, each time it is turned on.
It is loaded with 150,000 light flashes, which should be sufficient to last many years, with no replacements cartridges required. As a guide, 1500 flashes will give approximately 4 treatments for 2 legs and 2 underarms or 2 full body treatments.
Who Can Use It?
The Silk'n Flash&Go is suitable for both male and female use, however it is not recommended for use on a man's beard area as it is too dense.
The very best results are achieved if you have pale skin and dark hair as the more contrast there is, the better.
You can determine whether or not your skin is suitable by looking at the Fitzpatrick scale which is shown below, if you are in the category 1 - 4, then it should be OK:
Hair Color (darkest)
White or very pale
Blue, grey, green
Always burns, never tans
Pale white with beige tint
Chestnut or dark blond
Always burns, sometimes tans
Beige to light brown (olive)
Sometimes burns, always tans
Light to moderate brown
Rarely Burns, always tans
Medium to Dark Brown
Rarely burns, tans more than average
Dark brown to black
The pictures above provide further illustration to help you with this.
As we mentioned previously, the device is fitted with a skin tone sensor, and will not work if the skin is too dark, for safety purposes.
If you have white, grey, light blond or red hair, the device is unlikely to be effective.
There are certain medical conditions that prevent the use of the Flash&Go device - it is very important to read and follow all the safety advice provided with the product carefully prior to use.
Misuse of this product may lead to serious side effects such as burns, blisters and permanent skin colour changes.
Where Can it be Used?
The Silk'n Flash&Go can be used almost all over the body, including the face from the cheek-line down (definitely NOT for eyebrows or anywhere near the eyes).
There are a few exceptions, where you should avoid use of this product:
- Genitals or anal area
- On tattooed skin
- On birthmarks, warts or moles
These areas may have a darker skin tone and/or more sensitive skin and use of the device may cause serious skin injury.
How to Use it
This is a relatively simple product to use, but you must ensure that you read all the information provided, paying particular attention to all the safety precautions, before you start.
Here we have outlined a basic guide, to give you an idea of the process:
- Shave first - prior to treatment, the area should be shaved, cleaned of all products such as deodorants, cosmetics, perfumes etc. and perfectly dry.
- Connect - insert one end of the power cord into the device and then plug into the mains socket. At this point each of the LED lights on the Flash&Go will blink on and off in turn, after which it is ready to use.
- Select Energy Level - when the central button is pressed it will automatically set to level 1 (the lowest power level). If you are using for the first time you should start with this lowest level to test for tolerance and side effects. If you are comfortable and experience no adverse effects at this level, you can increase to level 2 for the next session, up to the maximum level 5. Each level delivers increased power, and correspondingly improved hair removal results, as well as increasing the risk of side effects. (Read all precautions about energy selection provided carefully prior to use).
- Pulsing - place the treatment surface of the device against smooth, flat skin, ensuring it is in full contact until the ready indicator light on the device flashes slowly, then press the pulse trigger. Providing your skin is suitable and not too dark, a flash of light will be delivered. You may feel a mild tingling and warm sensation, and hear a slight popping sound, both of which are quite normal. Move the treatment surface to the next area of skin and which the ready indicator light starts blinking, deliver the next pulse of light. Continue across the treatment area in rows, avoiding gaps and overlaps and only treating each area once.
- Gliding - for this method the trigger is held down continuously and the device should be slowly glided across the treatment area whilst flashes are automatically delivered every 1 - 1.5 seconds. Again, each area should be treated just once in any given session.
HPL - What is it and How Does it Work?
HPL stands for home pulsed light and is a patented technology developed by Home Skinovations which, as far as I can tell, is much the same as IPL (intense pulsed light).
IPL is used for hair removal in salons by professionally trained practitioners, whereas HPL operates at lower energy levels, making it safe for home use.
The way it works is to target the dark pigment, melanin, which is found in both hair and skin, and which is highly concentrated around the base of the hair root and follicle.
This is why it works best for those with light skin and dark hair, and should not be used by those with naturally darker skin tones; there should be a good contrast so that the light ray can target the root of the hair and leave the surrounding skin alone.
The energy from the light pulse is absorbed by the melanin, which produces heat; a process known as thermolysis.
The heat damages the hair follicle, and causes it to drop out (usually within a week or two). The aim is to damage the follicle sufficiently that the hair does not grow back, or if it does, it grows back lighter and finer.
The video below illustrates exactly how this works:
Product Questions and Answers
Where is this product made?
It is made in Israel.
How many times do you need to use the machine to see results?
You will need to use it once a fortnight for 3 - 4 sessions, then you should start to see notice some thinning of regrowth.
Why does it take so long to see results?
The device only works on hair that is in the actively growing stage, and only a percentage of your hair is in this stage at any one time. Therefore, you need to keep going in order to treat all the hairs at the right time.
Do you have to recharge the batteries?
No. The Silk'n Flash&Go Compact is mains operated only, so you use it whilst it is plugged in (corded).
Will it work on grey hair?
No, this device is not recommended for use on white, grey, light blond or red hair - it is likely to be ineffective. The best alternative for permanent hair removal is electrolysis, carried out by a professional.
How often do you need to purchase replacement light cartridge?
You do not need to replace the cartridge - it is preloaded with 150,000 flashes, sufficient for many years usage.
Can it be used on your face?
Yes, from the cheekbones down (keep well away from eyes and not suitable for eyebrows). The hair on a man's chin and neck is very dense, and so it is not advised for use in these areas.
Do you need to use protective eye glasses?
No - there are built-in safety features that mean that the device will only operate if completely flush with the skin, so glasses are not strictly necessary, although personally I would err on the side of caution and use some!
This is a pretty cost effective product, with some good features - I especially like the glide function for quick and easy use.
Although an initial cost of $200 is fairly substantial, the fact that there are no ongoing costs mean that, over time, this product will pay for itself in spades.
Providing you are prepared to persevere and keep going, over time you should achieve a noticeable reduction in hair regrowth.
Things we Liked
- No Replacement Parts - with 150,000 flashes, no need for replacing costly light cartridges
- 5 Energy Levels - for personal preference
- Glide Function - quick and easy to use
- Permanent hair reduction - results in reduction in hair growth - regrowth is finer and lighter
- Safety Features - skin sensor and FDA and Health Canada cleared
- Versatile - can be used on most parts of the body and face
- No Visible Hair - hair can be shaved between treatments, so no unsightly regrowth required
- Cost Effective - after initial outlay, no ongoing costs
Things we Didn't Like
- Small Spot Size - ideal for smaller areas, can be used on larger also
- Restricted - not suitable for some darker skin tones and light, grey or red hair
- Initial Outlay - quite a pricey product, initially
- Risk of Side Effects - precautions must be followed assiduously as potential for burns