Surgi Cream Facial Hair Removal Cream Review
Surgi-Cream is a well established Brand which has been manufacturing depilatory creams in the USA for many years.
Surgi-Cream facial hair removal cream is an extra gentle depilatory specially designed for use on the face, by those with sensitive skin.
It is for use on the cheeks, upper lip and chin. This product is not meant to be used for eyebrows and should be kept away from the eyes.
Hair is removed from just below the skin's surface and results should last, on average, anything from 10 days to 2 weeks. However, this will vary from person to person as hair growth rates are different for each individual.
There is also a Surgi Cream hair removal cream for the Bikini Line and Legs available.
What You Get
In the box, you get one 28g (1oz) tube of Surgi Cream hair removal cream, one 14g (0.5oz) tube of Surgi-Soothe cream for after-use and a plastic spatula.
Also included is an instruction leaflet detailing how to test prior to use, how to use and any relevant precautions you need to observe.
The product retails at just less than $7, which seems pretty good value for what you get. I guess just how good depends on how much hair you have to remove, which will obviously affect how many usages you get from the tube.
A Look at Surgi Cream Facial Hair Removal Cream
The first thing I noticed when opening the cream was that the scent was not unpleasant, especially in comparison to many other depilatory creams I have used.
The addition of the after cream is a good bonus, and is designed to soothe and moisturize the skin. It also claims to retard hair growth.
I thought the spatula that is included is quite bit big for the face - but I suppose if you are treating a relatively wide area it would be good. It is rigid plastic but with a softer plastic end to place against the skin of the face.
What are the Ingredients?
It is obviously important to know what is in the cream, if you know you are allergic to any particular chemicals.
The photograph below was shot straight from the box, and lists the ingredients in the hair removal cream:
The next photograph lists the ingredients in the after-cream:
How to Use the Product
Always carry out a test first, prior to use, to determine that it is safe to use and that you do not have an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients.
This can be done on a small, inconspicuous spot on your face:
- Dampen the skin
- Apply a small amount of the hair removal cream
- Leave for 6 - 8 minutes
- Wipe off with a damp cloth
- Rinse with running water
- Apply Surgi-Soothe after cream to the spot and leave
- Wait for 24 hours
If, after 24 hours your skin is normal, you can proceed to use the product in the prescribed way.
If redness or any kind of irritation occurs, you should not use this product.
Do not use soap or astringents for 2 hours before or after treatment and do not use for at least 24 hours before or after sunbathing.
To use the cream, follow these directions:
- Dampen the skin
- Apply with fingertips, ensuring that the hair is thickly covered to skin level, but without rubbing in the cream
- Replace cap quickly to avoid the cream drying out
- Leave on the face for 4 - 8 minutes
- Test carefully with a damp cloth after 4 minutes to see if the hair is removed, if not reapply and wait a further 2 minutes and try again
- Do not leave on the face for more than 8 minutes
- Remove the cream with a damp cloth
- Splash with running water and pat dry
- Apply Surgi-soothe after cream and leave to absorb - do not wipe off
Interestingly, there is nothing in the instructions about use of the spatula!
- If, after the first application you have not removed all the hair, you must wait at least 48 hours before re-treating the area
- Product must not be used on inflamed, chapped, sunburnt or otherwise irritated or broken skin.
- Deodorant, soap or any astringent should not be used on the area for 2 hours before or after treatment.
- This product is not suitable for use on breast, rectal or vaginal areas nor on the eyebrows
- If product comes in contact with eyes, wash immediately with lukewarm water and seek medical advice.
- Previously shaved, waxed or tweezed areas must be properly healed before applying Surgi-Cream.
- You should not sunbathe for 24 hours before or after treatment.
- Store safely, out of the reach of children
Is it Effective?
Speaking personally, I found that the cream was effective after about 6 minutes for my fine facial hair, and had little odour at all.
I have sensitive skin myself, but did not have any reaction to the ingredients and it worked well for me.
I liked the after cream, which was very pleasant and left the skin nicely moisturised - time will tell as to whether it really does inhibit re-growth.
The majority of reviews on the internet are positive so, combining this with my own experience, I feel that I can genuinely recommend the product as good for purpose.
Why Use a Depilatory Cream?
I guess the main thing that depilatory creams have over almost all other forms of hair removal is that there is no pain involved.
The only other obvious pain-free method is shaving, and even then depilatory creams have the edge, as the effects will last a bit longer.
The cream works by chemically dissolving the hair, and can be used on most areas of the body and all different skin types and colours.
You just have to be careful to choose one which is formulated for the area you wish to treat. The strength of formula required to remove fine hair e.g. from the face, will be different to that for thick or coarse hair from, say, the bikini line.
Depilatory creams are relatively cheap (ranging from around $5 - $15) versatile, easy and quick to use at home, all of which make them a popular choice.
More information about depilatory creams is available in our Complete Guide.
Surgi Cream Facial Hair Remover Pros and Cons
Things we Liked
- Value for Money - At just under $7 for a 28g tube - sufficient for several treatments of a small area
- After Cream - soothing, leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth
- Odour - not too strong and not unpleasant as with some other depilatory creams
- Works quickly - from 4 minutes to a maximum 8 minutes
Things we didn't Like
- Spatula - A bit large and unwieldy for the face, not to mention unnecessary really
Our Final Thoughts
For upper lip, cheek and chin hair removal for ladies, overall this product is pleasant to use and effective for purpose.
It is gentle, in comparison to some hair removal products and can remove your fine unwanted facial hair quickly and efficiently.
All in all a worthwhile addition to your hair removal kit.