Review of Surgi Wax Eyebrow Wax Strips
This product is manufactured in the US for American International Industries.
Straight off the bat, my initial impression was that the product consists of a set of sticky back plastic strips on backing paper, that look very similar to scotch tape.
If effective, they are quite obviously very easy to use, with no mess or time-consuming processes involved.
Available from around $12 for 4 boxes of 28 sets, they are a pretty cost effective way of keeping eyebrows in shape.
What's In the Box?
- 4 Sheets of eyebrow shapers, with 7 sets on each backing paper
- Instruction Leaflet
A Look at the Product
Each pair of cold wax strips is shaped to be applied either above or below the brow. This is clearly shown in the photograph below, where it is easy to see which is which by the shape of the arch:
To use, you simply remove the cold wax strip carefully from the backing sheet, by holding the unwaxed strip at each end.
The photograph on the right shows a shot of the ingredients, taken straight from the box.
- Styrene/Isoprene Copolymer
- Pentaerythrityl Rosinate
- Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum)
- Hydrogenated Poly (C6-20 Olefin)
It is always a good idea to check ingredients prior to use if you have any known allergies.
It is strongly advised that you carry out a patch test 24 hours prior to use, to check for adverse reactions.
You can do this by using on an inconspicuous area, such as the inside of the elbow.
How to Use
- Thoroughly cleanse area to remove all make-up and oils and make sure it is thoroughly dry
- Start with the under side of the brow
- Holding the correct strip at the outer edge, carefully peel away the backing strip
- Press firmly in place, just over the hair to be removed, making sure to avoid the eyelid
- Hold the skin taut with two fingers of your spare hand
- Zip away the strip in one quick pull, against the direction of the hair's growth (from outer edge towards the nose) keeping as close to the skin as possible
- Repeat the process, as required, with the upper brow strip
- For the removal of hair between the brows, the same process should be followed, using a top brow shaper
- Press the strip firmly into place in an upward movement
- Whilst holding the skin taut, remove the strip in a downwards direction
- Hair should be at least 1/4" long
- Always make sure to hold skin very taut
- Pull off as quickly as possible, against hair's growth, parallel to skin
- Any wax remaining on the skin can be removed using baby oil or similar
For advice on how to achieve the perfect shape for your eyebrows see our article Eyebrow Shaping, Tweezing and Threading.
When Not to Use
You should not use this product if you have the following medical conditions:
- Eczema or other skin disorder
- If you are using Retin-A, Glycolic Acid, Accutane, Alpha Hydroxy treatments or steroids.
Further precautions include the following:
- Do not use immediately after bathing or showering
- Do not use on chapped, sore or sunburnt skin or on recent scar tissue
- Do not use on warts, moles or eyelashes and avoid eyelids
- Do not expose area to direct sunlight for 24 hours after use
- Do not use if you have had an allergic reaction to cold wax strips, sticky plasters or tapes
Always ensure that you take the time to read and follow all instructions and precautions provided prior to use.
Advantages of Waxing for Eyebrow Shaping
The most popular way of shaping eyebrows is undoubtedly tweezing, which is very precise but can also be pretty time-consuming as each hair is removed individually.
Waxing has the advantage of removing several hairs simultaneously, and so is much quicker, especially if you have thick, bushy eyebrows and/or monobrow (hair between the brows).
Waxing will more easily remove the finer hairs that are difficult to pick up with tweezers, but it is likely that you will still need to tweeze the odd stray hair as precision is more difficult.
How Effective Are They?
To tell the truth, my experience of using these was that they were easy to use above the brow, but a little more tricky below the brow. It was a little fiddly and difficult to avoid sticking to the eyelid.
Perhaps this would become easier with time and practice, however the results were less than perfect, but were sufficient for my personal requirements.
I found that the very fine hairs were removed, but that some of the thicker, stronger hairs were not and so needed another strip.
Generally, the product has mixed online reviews and so I feel that it depends on just how thick your brows are and how much hair you wish to remove, as to whether they are suitable and strong enough for you.
The process was not very painful - more like a stinging sensation, and I experienced a mild redness afterwards which disappeared within the hour.
Product Q & A's
What if I position it incorrectly?
If you make a mistake in positioning the strip, carefully and slowly pull it away in the direction of hair growth, and start again with a new strip.
What are the side effects?
Side effects should be minimal - slight redness and perhaps a "tingly" feel straight afterwards. We would advise you to use the strips at night before bedtime so that any redness can disappear overnight. Make sure to carry out a patch test 24 hours prior to first use to see if you have an allergic reaction - and if you do, do not use.
Is it very painful?
No - used correctly the pain level should be very bearable, although individual pain thresholds do vary of course. I found it to be an improvement on tweezing as it was quicker and all over in one go. Do make sure to hold the skin as taut as possible to increase effectiveness and avoid "pulling"
Are the strips reusable?
No - they are designed to be used only once
Do I need to warm the strips first?
No - they are designed to be used straight from the backing sheet
Are they easy to use?
Yes, with a bit of practice. The only fiddly part is getting the strip in the correct position, especially for the under brow. The top brow shapers are very easy to use.
I think that if, like me, you have fine brows that are not too thick this product will give good results and is pretty easy to use.
For coarser, thicker brows I am not so sure that this product will be for you, however at the price, if you really like the look of them and want to give them a go, it won't break the bank!
Do make sure though, that you also have a decent pair of tweezers available to "catch the strays".
Things we Liked
- Inexpensive - Good value for money at $12 - $18 for 4 boxes of 28 sets (112 in total)
- No mess - ready to use strips
- Quick and Easy - no preparation required, pre-cut shapers
- Effective on Fine Hair - removed all the fine hairs pretty well
Things we didn't Like
- Effectiveness on Coarse Hair - not as good as we would have liked, required more than one strip to achieve good results
- Fiddly - a little fiddly on the under brow, to avoid eyelid - some practice required