Veet 2-Step Facial Hair Cream Kit Review
Veet are one of the best known Brands in the depilatory cream market. This is just one in their range of products, and is formulated specially for sensitive, facial skin. It comes complete with a finishing cream for use after treatment. Overall, a fair review.
3.4 out of 5 Stars
Veet manufactured in France, are one of the most popular Brands of hair removal cream around today.
They have a range of depilatories, including gels, creams, sprays, sensitive and in-shower versions.
This 2-Step facial hair cream kit is specifically formulated for sensitive skin, with the added bonus of a finishing cream to use post treatment.
Although designed for facial use, as with all depilatory creams, this product is not suitable for eyebrows and should be kept away from the eye area.
What You Get
In the box, you get one 1.69 fl oz (49.9ml) tube of facial hair removal cream, one 1.69 fl oz tube of gentle finishing cream and an application spatula.
Unlike most hair removal creams, there is not an instruction leaflet but all the instructions are printed on the box, so be sure to keep the box for reference.
Currently retailing at just over $10, it is not the cheapest on the market, but there should be plenty in the tube for a number of applications (depending on the size of the area being treated, of course).
A Look at the Product
Typically, the first thing I always want to know about when opening a depilatory cream is the scent. Fortunately, for me, this was not disappointing.
Manufacturers of depilatories have worked hard over the years to mask the pungent, offensive odours we always used to associate with them and for my money, Veet have done pretty well with this one!
This is, of course, very subjective and may not concur with everyone's point of view, but I found it not to be too strong or unpleasant.
The finishing cream is lovely, light and fragrant for use after hair removal treatment to soothe and moisturise the skin.
The spatula is fine, and there to use if you so wish - personally I find it easier to just use a fingertip on small facial areas.
Spatulas, for me, are best for legs, arms etc. where you need to spread cream out over a larger area.
What are the Ingredients?
Of course, it is important to check the ingredients of the cream in case you have any allergies to the chemicals within them that you are aware of.
The photos below give the ingredients of a) the hair removal cream and b) the finishing cream, and were shot straight from the box:
How to Use
You must always carry out a skin test prior to use to determine whether you have any adverse reactions.
This is extremely important in the case of hair removal creams because they contain strong chemicals which, in worst case scenarios, can cause severe reactions, burns and blisters.
The skin test is carried out by applying cream as per usage instructions to a small, unobtrusive spot of the treatment area (if this is not possible, try the inside fold of your elbow).
Leave the cream on the area for a maximum of 10 minutes and then remove and rinse thoroughly.
If there are no adverse reactions after 24 hours you can proceed to use as instructed.
If any stinging, burning or other irritations occur, remove the product immediately, rinse the area with lukewarm water and do not use.
Remember to read all the precautions thoroughly before use.
- Apply the cream using the curved part of the spatula to the treatment area and spread evenly to fully cover hairs
- DO NOT RUB IN
- Wash hands immediately and thoroughly
- Leave on for 5 minutes and then test a small part carefully to see if hair comes away easily.
- If it does, remove the remaining cream with the spatula and rinse skin thoroughly with water (no soap) and gently pat dry.
- If you require longer, it can be left for up to a maximum of 10 minutes, but keep checking. NEVER EXCEED 10 MINUTES.
- Apply the Gentle Finishing Cream to the area after depilation, and massage into the skin.
Always check the precautions and carry out skin test prior to using a depilatory cream.
- Always retain box for future use for full precautions and instructions
- Never exceed the maximum 10 minute recommended usage time
- Not to be used on eyebrows or eye area - if contact with the eyes occurs, rinse thoroughly with water and seek medical advice
- Not suitable for head, breast, perianal or genital areas
- You should not use depilatories on moles, warts, scars, broken, irritated or sunburnt skin
- Seek medical advice prior to use if you are suffering from any skin related disorder, circulatory problems or diabetes.
- If you experience any stinging or tingling during use, remove the product immediately, rinse with water and do not use. If the sensation persists, seek medical advice.
- Always wait at least 72 hours between applications
- It is recommended not to use antiperspirant or perfumed products on the area for 24 hours
- You should not sunbathe or go swimming for 24 hours after use
- Store safely, out of the reach of children
- The product is dangerous if ingested - seek medical advice immediately.
Is It Effective?
Having read the internet reviews, which are mixed, I was prepared for possible disappointment.
However, to tell the truth it worked for me a treat. I tested after 5 minutes, but needed nearer to 8 minutes for the hair to be completely removed.
It is fair to say that hair removal creams in general have mixed reviews - individual skin and hair reacts differently to different chemical mixes. For this reason opinion is always likely to be divided as any product will work for some and not others.
Possibly more than any other method, depilatory creams may require trial and error before finding the right one for you.
Why Use Depilatory Creams? - The Advantages
So, what are the advantages of hair removal creams versus other hair removal methods?
- Pain Free - unlike all other methods except shaving (assuming you are not allergic to any of the ingredients, of course). It lasts a little longer than shaving, though, because is dissolves the hair to just below the skin's surface)
- Versatile - depilatory creams can be used on most areas of the body, with different products and strengths available for specific use. They can be used on all skin types and tones
- Convenient - they are quick and easy to use at home and no particular skill is involved in using them, other than the ability to follow the instructions
- Cost Effective - depilatories are an inexpensive method of hair removal
Pros and Cons of Veet 2-Step Facial Hair Cream Kit
Things we Liked
- Cost Effective - for around $10 you should have sufficient cream to last for several applications
- Odour - not too strong and comparatively OK
- Finishing Cream - pleasantly scented and leaves skin moisturised
- Quick - works in 5 - 10 minutes
Things we didn't Like
- Spatula - superfluous to requirements (in my opinion)
- Lack of Leaflet - Although the required information is on the box I feel that leaflets have more space to provide information in an easier to read format
Our Final Thoughts
So, taking all into account, would I recommend this product?
On balance, I think yes - if you are a Veet fan it is certainly worth a try and if it works for you - great.
In terms of value for money it works out pretty well, providing several applications for your $10.